• Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
Tenant screening questions

Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Posted Sep 8 2015, 13:15

Hi folks - got a few tenant screening questions to add to the dozens of similarly-titled threads:

For context, these units are C+ in a working-class neighborhood, and rent for between $650 and $750/mo.

(1)  Tenant is a bartender, so their pay stub is not reflective of their true income.  How would you vet this?

(2)  Tenant has a felony from 2007 for drug conspiracy charges.  His probation officer has to approve his apartment before he moves.  If everything else doesn't throw up any red flags, would you rent to this person?

(3)  This last one comes with a backstory - enjoy!

Woman named "Joan" calls and asks if I take section 8.  I tell her yes, but this particular unit is not approved (i.e. I inherited some section 8, and would like to do away with them through attrition).  She begs and pleads, but I tell her "no."  Another woman calls the next day, claiming to be "Joan's" daughter, whose name also happens to be "Joan."  She lives out of state and is looking to relocate back to the area.  Her mother recommended she call me because my unit sounded nice.  She is sending her husband (who lives locally) and her mother (the section 8 caller) to inspect the apartment.

Being the perpetual cynic, my antennae are up for a bait-and-switch with the younger couple qualifying for the apartment, but then the mom moves in.

Another part of the plot: that property (but not that unit) has a section 8 tenant, so the housing authority has me and the property in their system.  I am just trying to avoid getting stuck with a situation where I am duped into allowing a section 8 tenant move in.

I will go through the necessary due diligence for background checks, but that won't prevent the aforementioned situation.  As they say, "possession is 9/10th of the law."  or, more appropriately 9/10th of the cost.

It could be a total coincidence and I am just freaking myself out.  Any advice/tips/tricks to avoid a switcheroo?

Loading replies...