Bees - are they a landlord responsibility?

17 Replies

Today I received a call from a tenant that bees have invaded and have made a nest in the soffit by the front door.  My question is - Is this the responsibility of the landlord to kill off the bees or is it the tenants responsibility?

I went and sprayed them but I wanted to hear what everyone thought.  Should I have left the tenants take care of them?

Who cares whose responsibility it is. It is a liability regardless, if a kid gets stung that is allergic and dies who do you think they are taking to court? You or your tenant? Spend the money to have them professionally removed and documented as such. Liability is the biggest thing in this business and definitely not something to mess around with in any way shape or form.

Refer them to your"no pet policy " . give them a cure or quit notice .    I would tell them to buy some bee spray and kill the bees .   It isnt that difficult 

@Parker Detweiler - agree - that is why I came with the spray.  I am supplied with professional level pest control from a colleague in the profession.  The bees are not an issue any longer.

@Nick Britton - termites and bees are 2 different issues.  That is why I always treat the perimeters of my properties with termite and insect control twice a year.  Preventative maintenance...  You can't pretreat for bees.  Thanks for you input.

Please don't kill honey bees. America has a huge colony die off problem. There are services you can call to come and remove the bees for you.

+1 to not killing honey bees.  Wasps and hornets, go ahead and spray.  Just not honey bees, please!

Originally posted by @Ellie Hanson :
Please don't kill honey bees. America has a huge colony die off problem. There are services you can call to come and remove the bees for you.

Agreed!!!  Holy $4It!? There are services all over the country that will come and remove bee colonies for no charge. My lord people.  Google it please!

As a beekeeper, I can only add my pleas to the others.  Honeybees have enough problems without being sprayed and killed.  If they just arrived, they are easy to relocate.  Sounds like you already killed them though.  :-(

Wasps and hornets are nature's thugs.   They would shank you in broad daylight if they could carry knives.

Bees will build a colony INSIDE your structure, entering and exiting through a small hole or holes.  Wasps and hornets build a nest ON your property, using mud to attach their nest under an eave or soffet.

Here's how to tell the difference:

Judging from all the responses I'd say raise rents and market the property as a honey bee haven. I don't know about where you are but here in Portland you'd make a killing.

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :

@Linda Weygant What's the difference between a wasp and a hornet?

Both are of the genus Vespa or Vespidae, but there are so many subspecies that are labeled either wasp, hornet or yellowjacket that I think the terms are pretty much interchangeable unless you're talking about a very specific subspecies.  You'd probably have to be an entomologist to actually be able to figure out the true differences, although this particular one is probably pretty easily identified by even a lay person.

That frightening thing is an Asian Giant Hornet.  Full of NOPE!

There's nothing worse than peoples' mistreatment or abuse of living creatures, be them "pests", or just in the wrong place. Bees can be moved; wasps can be moved; spiders can be moved, mice and rats can be humanely caught and removed. I'd much rather a tenant report the unwanted presence of a creature so that I can have it respectfully relocated than deal with it themselves. Spraying a nest is ignorant and disgusting, and shows an enormous amount of disrespect to living things. Fair enough, if someone is afraid of getting stung, then don't go near the nest. Don't destroy it though. As a landlord of many years, I would always pay for relocation or removal of non-human occupants. Not necessarily for the benefit of the renter, but for the benefit of all lives involved. If I caught someone destroying a nest, or using fatal trapping devices, they'd get an eviction notice, and be out!

We have our fair share of  outdoor animals  we get wasps nest and do get them removed and we do spray.  There is no way to respectfully relocate those wasps.... and I don't feel bad about spraying , right over the door it is gone!  Have not run across bees but I do have experience with beavers, squirrels, raccoons and mice.

I tell single family residents it is on them just like the grass and any other types of  outdoor bugs and that is in the lease.  I also tell them a country setting means animals and they need to expect outdoor animals and co-exist  with them in the outdoors. In or chewing on the house, treat or call me. That being said I have people call and say their kid (20 years old) is allergic and I have to remove the nest.  I know they don't carry an epi-pen. Anyone run across this and what action can you take?  They are being irresponsible and yet expect me to do an emergency elimination. 

I live at an apartment community that is infested with bees, wasps, hornets & I WILL & DO KILL EVERYONE OF THEM. It is the landlord/ corporatios's responsibility to eradicate these from property. I've been stung several times & tenants cannot go outside on their patio without being attacked by bees. BTW, there are NO bee keepers in our county; no one will travel 100 miles to try to find the bers nests. It's ridiculous to put an insects well-being before human beings.

I second the various comments on getting it removed for free.  I've actually had this problem before.  Google local bee keepers and start calling.  Many professional will come remove it free of charge as they can make a small hive into something that is commercially viable.  There are lots of amateur bee keepers now too who would probably be glad to help you out for free!  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.