What is your expected Cash Flow?

9 Replies

Just getting started in purchasing rental properties and wanted to get an idea on what you expect for a minimum on a yearly/monthly cash flow return. For single or multi family. No more than 4 plex. Thanks 

It really varies by the property and by the financing you're using. We aim for 100/unit per month for multifamily and closer to $150/house. I should note that that is with 9% interest only financing on the houses. With apartments, it's usually a 75% LTV, 5.5% interest, 25 year loan.

I have SFHs. If I cannot net more than 10% on my cash invested (outside of tax considerations) and have >50% monthly cash flow after all expenses including the note I won't do the deal. Example: SFH I purchase for $40k cash outright, I expect to net >$4k annually on rent and all expenses should be

I know there are all kinds of rules on here - 1%, 2%, 50%, whatever - but that is what I use and it works for me. Everything I have nets >15% on my cash invested and expenses are <40% of monthly rent. This allows me to have a built-in vacancy protection rate of 60-70%, meaning that rent from one unit can cover all expenses on vacancies that high, which is catastrophic, armeggedon-type vacancy figures for my area!

so many variables. can you get houses that are 50k with 1k in rent? 

i think a better question would be "what cashflow are you getting". which, btw has been discussed on here quite a bit.

This helps a lot! Thanks 

When I first bought my 4plex it was cashflowing about $50/unit/month. I've made some improvements and it's now at about $75 with my goal to be at $100/unit/month within a year.

Originally posted by @Corey Knight :

Just getting started in purchasing rental properties and wanted to get an idea on what you expect for a minimum on a yearly/monthly cash flow return. For single or multi family. No more than 4 plex. Thanks 

You will be more successful if you learn the difference between profit and cash flow and concentrate on profit.

We shoot for $300 per house in my area. Hard to find those deals in our area, but we are growing slow. so we have time. 

I want 15% ROI as a minimum (if financing) so its usually 10k-20k per year that I want to clear before taxes. All cash would be closer to 8%-10% probably. I prefer to have the opportunity to "force appreciation" and walk into some equity. If the house is right next to mine I might consider 12-13% because I'd like to own enough close together to knock them all down in the future and build an apartment building. I own in C-D neighborhoods though.

Thank you again for all your post! Each example is helping me with the education and new ideas! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.