Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amanda C.
  • Jackson, GA
Votes |
First Time Landlord and Final Inspection

Amanda C.
  • Jackson, GA
Posted

Just wanted to some advice on our final inspection and how you would charge. My husband and I are first time landlords so we are learning. Basically, overall we had good tenants up until the last few months. They became aggressive and difficult. The tenant on the lease did not show up for our final walkthrough instead she sent her new husband and her grandfather. Grandfather was very pushy and tried to get my to sign a form saying everything was good---I did NOT sign it. Overall the house looks good, except they painted 3 rooms. 1 room they did have my permission but the paint job is HORRIBLE in all three rooms. Its on the ceiling, base boards, and cabinets. Plus they left us no touch up paint. I asked about the touch up paint and told them they had to bring it to me but as of now they haven't. They used screws in the walls for pictures. One of the rooms they painted had 14 screws in the wall--very excessive. Then they added their own light fixtures and dimmers which they removed before they moved out. Our realtor has pictures of all of this from where we put the house on the market. Totally against the lease. Well they rewired 2 light switches backwards and now up if off and down is on and one of the plates is no longer up against the wall. We have a to fix it because someone is going to do a lease purchase on the house. Just wondering if charging for an electrician and a full paint job on the three rooms is justifiable? Also we had a laundry room door that was overall in good condition but had some normal wear and tear at the bottom, well they must of decided they didn't like the door so they stored it in the outdoor building all year and its covered in dirt and mildew. We have to purchase a new door but since there was some wear can we charge them for the full amount of the door cost? There were a few more minor issues but we were able to fix those in a couple hours so we aren't going to charge them for it. Any advice you can give because I know this couple is going to be upset if they don't receive all of their money back.

Loading replies...