• Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Florida Security Deposit Dispute - help appreciated

Arianne L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posted Jan 21 2016, 15:22

Hello BP community. I thought that I would get great advice and insight from fellow BP members regarding a security deposit claim that I want to dispute.

Background: My husband and I rented a 2/2 apartment for 18 months. We took good care of the property. During our stay, there was only one real maintenance issue. The roof was leaking, and we reported this promptly. They put a metal roof over the existing roof and repaired the paint and drywall. During the next rain, the roof leaked again (water was dripping through seam of the ceiling and pooling underneath the paint, causing it to bubble). We informed the PM, they sent a maintenance person to have a look. The person did some "repairs", and during the next rain, instead of the ceiling having the dripping issues, the water seems to have started running down the side of the wall (evidenced by the paint bubbling)l.

We left the apartment very clean, and move in ready, apart from some smudges on the tile (It was raining heavily the days we moved). Cleaned every corner, etc. With pictures to prove it.

These are what the the Property Management company is charging:

Carpet and tile cleaning $155 (specified in the lease - not disputing)

Cleaning $96 

Touch up painted interior walls and Trim $135

Replaced burned out regular and vanity type bulbs $19

Cleared clog from front bath sink $25

Replaced bad stove top burner pans $27

Replaced bad outlet plate $4

I believe that they should not be able to charge a separate cleaning fee (#1 because we cleaned it and it was rent ready, #2 they already charged a $155 carpet and tile cleaning fee). I feel that the paint fee is coming from the leak that they failed to fix, so that should note be charged as well. I believe light bulbs are the landlord's responsibility. There was no clog in the front bath sink. The bad stove top burners and outlet plate were already bad when we moved in (documented). 

We are going to bring all our supporting documentation (move in sheet, move out sheet, move in and move out pictures) to the property management company, to dispute these charges. 

Any insights and words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Ask Arianne Logo

Loading replies...