Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
Hi have a very nice mother-in-law unit in a beautiful new build neighborhood. It's a great space with a great bathroom and little kitchenette. There is no washer and dryer and I don't want them using the main house laundry. I want to attract a premium renter. Obviously it depends on the home, but how much did it cost you to add washer and dryer hookups? This includes running the plumbing and drain, installing a 220v outlet and air vent. I know this is very market specific, but I was wondering if others had any experience installing such things and I'd appreciate any feedback on the matter, thanks you.
Ah that explains it, yeah mine empties into a soap sink. I also apprenticed as a plumber for a year in new construction, and while we would dig and put in the pipes for for toilets in the basement, we never put any pipe work into the floor for washing machines, and these were 500k+ homes. This post was the first Ive ever heard of underground plumbing for a washing machine.
Well, there is no laundry area for the OP. So there would be no utility sink; even to set up like you have at your place, for the washer to discharge into a sink, that sink would need a drain pipe that then ties in to the existing drain plumbing.
Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 39 votes
10y
This will depend on how close the existing plumbing and electrical are to the potential locations. Is the potential laundry location near a bathroom. Where is the power supply/main panel? Is the mother-in-law unit on a concrete slab or raised foundation with crawl space?
Why would you need to dig into the ground for a washer hook up?
If it has a basement or crawl space, then probably no need to "break ground". But if it is on a slab, then the drain piping has to get to the laundry area somehow, and it has to be below floor level at some point to tie in to existing drain plumbing.
Rockford, IL · Member since 2015 · 343 posts · 95 votes
10y
Benjamin Timmins not sure how yours is hooked up. Does your empty into a slop sink. Typically there is a a recessed box that you hook the water lines and discharge line too. If it's a slab house you would need to get to the drain line to the main. Depending on distance you will had to bust up the concrete, dig a trench cut the cast iron pipe and attach to main.
Julie Rossman Depending on location is where your cost will come into play. And all the facts everyone basically touched on. Slab, crawl space, basement.
When it comes to the electrical that is a city by city code issue. Some places allow the use of Romex and some say the wire needs to be in conduit. Obviously installing Romex is faster the conduit but more labor intensive. Also is there room in your panel, do you need to upgrade or add sub panel.
Same with water lines. Can you use PEX or does it need to be in Copper.
Ah that explains it, yeah mine empties into a soap sink. I also apprenticed as a plumber for a year in new construction, and while we would dig and put in the pipes for for toilets in the basement, we never put any pipe work into the floor for washing machines, and these were 500k+ homes. This post was the first Ive ever heard of underground plumbing for a washing machine.
Ah that explains it, yeah mine empties into a soap sink. I also apprenticed as a plumber for a year in new construction, and while we would dig and put in the pipes for for toilets in the basement, we never put any pipe work into the floor for washing machines, and these were 500k+ homes. This post was the first Ive ever heard of underground plumbing for a washing machine.
Well, there is no laundry area for the OP. So there would be no utility sink; even to set up like you have at your place, for the washer to discharge into a sink, that sink would need a drain pipe that then ties in to the existing drain plumbing.
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
10y
Thanks guys for all the replies.@Benjamin Timmins@Chris Sukala@Steve Babiak@Todd Plambeck@Royce J. I know I can get an accurate price from contractors in my area, and I can probably do it myself (with the help of my dad). Luckily in this new build home, the location of the proposed laundry facility is on the main floor and on an outside wall in a closet. It is directly on the other side of the bathroom sinks and toilet, the crawlspace is large, the electrical would go about 100' from garage panel. I'm not sure about the load, but in this new house, I would assume there is enough.
I was more looking for people who have installed this configuration in their rental home, and their costs and return from having the hookups.