Rental increase notification lead time?

7 Replies

I am going to need to raise the monthly rent on one of my properties this year.

How much up front notification do I need to give my tenants? 2 months, 2 weeks, etc?

What do you think about using email to notify, as long I request some sort of response/acknowledgement?

Thanks, Chris

I would say it depends on the term of the lease, how long they've been in the unit, and how good of tenants they've been. 

Aside from reminding them about 60 days before their lease term ends, I usually make it a practice to write that into the initial lease agreement and mention they will experience a rent increase of about 10-12% (standard with market rates for my area), and when the time comes only raise it by 8%, in which case when that happens they're ecstatic because they see it as getting off the hook a little bit, making them more inclined to stay and renew.

Hope this helps. 

I agree with Joy Mondala.  Always, always, always, oh did I say ALWAYS, have everything in writing!!!!   A Judge doesn't want to hear "She said this, and He said that".  All they are interested is in EVIDENCE!!!!!!

Nancy Neville

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property

It depends on your state landlord tenant regulations.

Usually the regulations state clearly what notice is required and will over ride anything you put in your lease but that again depends on your state regulations.

You should have studied the regulations before you started your business.

@Chris Stromdahl Just give them the notice required where the property is.   In CA, for instance, if they've been in the unit more than 12 months you need to give them 60 days.  

As far as email, it's legally considered a "writing," but I think I'd do both - send the email telling them of the rent increase, "and I'll also be sending this notice via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation."  

That way you don't have to bug them to acknowledge the increase.

Be aware that the city of Seattle has a few more rules than the rest of of the State. They are more tenant friendly and require you to jump through a couple more hurdles for things like this. If they aren't in city limits, disregard.