Investor · Endicott, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 36 votes
I just received a notice from Social Services today (6/1), saying they were no longer going to pay for my tenant, effective yesterday. I know why. My tenant is leaving to live down the street. But she had signed a lease and still had two months left on it.
I don't really have a problem losing the tenant (she was messy, and damaged more than she could afford to repair), but I find it frustrating that SS can give such short notice when the entire reason the tenant was there is due to SS paying her rent.
Have any of you had any luck pushing SS to honor the lease, or at least provide 30 days notice before terminating support for a tenant?
In rent in the Binghamton, NY area, if that helps.
Investor · Endicott, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 36 votes
10y
If I were to win in small claims court, would the tenant have to pay, or would social services? Tenant lives off social services, and likely has no assets.
Tenant would be liable to pay. This is the primary reason when screening applicants to not only insure they can afford the rent but also if they default you can collect. Welfare tenants are generally not collectable.
Investor · Endicott, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 36 votes
10y
Yep, that was my thought. We inherited these when we took back the property from our Property Manager. Fortunately, we do have a Security Deposit. That covers the damages or the rent, but not both.