Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Walker Kirkikis
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
In a lose- lose situation and need advise!

Walker Kirkikis
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jun 22 2016, 12:10

Hello all,

I hope all has been well! I have a situation at my rental property that I need professional advise on.

The facts are as stated:

1. Friday 6/17, I get a call that the 3rd floor toilet is leaking into the 2nd floor bathroom---

Action: I fix the leaking toilet that night.

2. Monday 6/20, I get a call that the 3rd floor tub is leaking into the 2nd floor bathroom---

Action: I go to the property to access the problem and uncover a non-supporting tub (the boards supporting the tub are rotted out/non existent) and severe water/mold damage to the subfloor of the entire bathroom.

Action: Call in plumber and contractor to access the repairs needed. Both say the bathroom needs to be totally gutted and a new subfloor and everything be replaced.

The problem:

The only bathroom that is working is the 2nd floor bathroom. I offered to see if the 3rd floor tenants can use the 2nd floor bathroom while I repair/renovate the 3rd floor bathroom. If the 2nd floor tenants agree to the 3rd floor tenants using their bathroom during the repairs (7-10 days) there is still a problem.... One (of two) third floor tenant does not want to use someone else's bathroom.

-These tenants are Month-to-Month tenants.

-I "assumed" them with the property.

-They are "willing" to work with me on this problem, but asked about me putting them up in a hotel during the repairs. (I would NOT like to do this $$$).

Note- The 3rd floor tenants said they have a meeting with the "Chicago Tenants Rights" tomorrow. And they would like me to let them know my actions/what is going to happen in writing.

My question: What am I responsible for doing for the 3rd floor tenants? (Getting them a hotel, Not charging them rent, Etc...)

PS- The property is in Chicago City Limits.

Thanks everyone!

Loading replies...