• Investor
  • Ventura, CA
Votes |
Would you raise the rent?

Christine Swaidan
  • Investor
  • Ventura, CA
Posted Jul 9 2016, 20:49

Tenants have been in place for 7 years and for the most part have been good with regard to paying and following rules. I raised the rent one year ago by $100. (First increase.) Still below market but it's a big place and would be a pain to rehab if they leave.

Tenant texted me on July 7 to let me know her husband  had fallen, broke his arm and had to have surgery. She said she would pay partial rent of $1500 on July 8.

July 8 tenant deposits $1400, saying she had to hold back $100 for FOOD! Both are employed and I am shocked that there seems to be no emergency fund. They don't have money for food?? She says she will let me know when they receive the next check, next week so she can pay the balance of $700.

The thing is, in my attempt to be a better landlord I have already prepared rent increase notices ($50)that I was planning on sending out by July 15. Here I am letting my emotions enter into this decision. Should I still send out the notice?

To further complicate, this is one of two townhouses and I want to keep the rents the same for both so they would both get increase notices. I'm leaning towards sending them anyway.

Loading replies...