• Real Estate Consultant
  • las vegas, NV
Votes |
Sect 8 tenant and BF

Albert Rupisan
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • las vegas, NV
Posted May 30 2009, 11:51

Has anyone had experience of a section 8 tenant whose boyfriend is beginning to stay a bit longer than usual to the point that I have seen his car parked in the driveway for more than a week. I had talked to the female tenant about this and she said he only stay a few days. She will renew her contract within 2 months and I am considering a few options"
1. just sign him in in the renewal contract as a tenant-increase rent by $200 w/ $200 deposit.

2. Inform Section 8 I will not renew my current contract with female tenant and need a new section 8 tenant replacement.

3. Just renew female tenant contract and write in contract that boyfriends cannot stay 2 days or more or she will be charged $50 per day.

Regarding HOA, I had tenant share/pay half of the monthly HOA fees the last 2 years and I was just informed by Section 8 it cannot be done. I was going to inform Section 8 that I do this because my rental is about $100-$150 lower that other rent comps. Or should I just raise rent next 2 months(yearly renewal) to compensate for the $35/month HOA?

Thanks for your suggestions!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Versch
  • Murray Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Murray Hill, NJ
Replied May 30 2009, 09:15

Hi Albert,

With regard to the HOA dues, just raise the rent to include them (and then some, if you're really 100-150 under market).
As for the boyfriend, tell your tenant he has to be on the lease, and on the contract with Section 8. If they balk at this, it could be because the guy has already warn out his welcome with Section 8 (been reported for trashing a past apartment, etc.). If that's the case, you don't want the guy there at all, whether or not he's on the lease. Put a condition in the new lease that keeps him from staying overnight. Inform her that if she breaks this (or any) condition of the lease you will evict her and report her to Section 8. If she won't sign the lease, get another tenant. If she signs the lease and then breaks it, evict her and report her to Section 8 as promised.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Replied May 30 2009, 12:02

Tell her if her bf doesn't leave that you will be contacting section 8 about it. She can loose her voucher if he moves in with her because it will change her household income.

You need to spell out in your lease who is allowed to stay in the apartment. I have everyone's names (even children) written on the lease. You should also define how long a guest is allowed to stay. Mine are set up that a guest is not allowed to stay more than 3 nights a month and no more than 4 consecutive nights.

-Michael

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Webber
  • Wholesaler
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied May 31 2009, 12:27

The local Section 8 providers in my city ask me to tell them whenever I think someone might be staying longer than they should be. They are extremely strict on this topic, and I don't even have to deal with it directly with the tenant.