• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Living in a four-plex with three tenants who have constant needs

Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Sep 29 2016, 14:37

I like having a MIL apartment, kind of like a duplex. Only thing is new tenant has yet to live there a full day and is already expecting me to let in his son, etc.

As much as I find it convenient to deal with contractors and prospective tenants living on site myself, one downside I'm starting to find is these strange little requests the new tenant makes. I'm just wondering when he will ask me for a ride because his car broke down, or to borrow a cup of sugar.

So that makes me wonder how it would be if I bought a four unit apartment building and had these types of tenants constantly making requests. Easy to say screen them out, but you can't always tell up front, and constant turnover is expensive.

User Stats

Votes
Natasha Keck
  • Investor
  • Mountain View, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mountain View, CA
Replied Sep 29 2016, 15:26

I always had something in my lease about providing lock-out access to the property (and it sounds like you need to specify that means any time that you are asked to open their property for them).  First one in a 6-month period was free.  Every one after than incurred a $25 charge.  That might help solve the problem?

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 29 2016, 15:45

There is actually a $100 lockout clause in the lease that I did think of charging him for, but yeah, I had told him I don't usually do this but would make an exception this time. 

It's the balance I'm looking for: not being too heavy with regulations but at the same time helping them understand that their landlord is not their personal assistant. With this guys request today I'm just dragging my feet, only responding once in a while and being vague, with a limited window of opportunity.

I want people to want to stay here, just like my other separate single family home rentals, but I have a full time professional job that I just so happen to get to work from home at. Somehow people think that means I'm here for their every need like a concierge...UGH...

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 29 2016, 16:25

What do you mean let his son in?  You mean he wasn't home, and his grown son wanted into his apartment?

I was the resident manager of the 26 unit building I managed.  So, I'd get interrupted a lot.  It was difficult to ever just come and go without being stopped by a tenant. The'd knock on my door at all hours.  

I figured out a few things that helped restore my sanity.  For one thing, when you need or want to say no to something you think it unreasonable, you state it as a rule.

"I don't let people into my tenant's apartment for them.  I like to keep our lives separate.  But, feel free to let me know whenever you have a maintenance problem.  Good night."  

I just didn't answer my door when I didn't feel like it.

If a tenant tried to stop me when I was not in the mood for talking, I'd say, "Sorry, I don't have time right now.  Leave me a voicemail and I'll get to it right away.  Good night!"

"I don't lend out my tools.  I got burned too many times."

You train them to call you or text you, then you listen to the voicemail - you always let it go to voicemail - or read the text to see if it's something you really need to deal with.  If not, you don't respond either ever, or not until you want to.

In your case, I think it would be helpful to develop a mantra like, "Well, I think it's important that we keep our lives separate.  I'm sure you wouldn't want me bothering you a lot.  So, let's keep our personal lives separate, but be sure and let me know if you get a water leak or something like that."

"I don't give rides to my tenants.  I think it's important to keep our personal lives separate."

Just write up a list of come-backs.  My initial nature was to say yes to everything, then be mad about it later.  I had to write up lists of rules and statements I could pull out of my hat.

And, like I say, you let them know it's best to leave a voicemail or text or email and you'll get back to them as soon as necessary.  

When I'd get a super worrier type, and they'd say, "But what if my apartment was burning down and I couldn't find you???!!!"  I'd tell them to call 911.  For whatever they think is an emergency when I'm not available.

They normally stop looking to you to take care of them, or keep them company, if you just never do it.  They'll start thinking, "Oh, I'll ask the LL - no wait, forget it, he won't help..."  LOL.  

Good luck.