Votes
Michael S.
  • Bowling Green, KY
Votes |
Inherited Tenants Don't Speak Much English

Michael S.
  • Bowling Green, KY
Posted Oct 27 2016, 10:00

Just purchased my first investment property (a 4-plex) and need some advice. 

I've dropped off two notices that all tenants will need to sign a new lease before their current lease ends, or they would be expected to vacate. I've had open communication with 2 of the units and don't have any contact info for another. I just called the last unit to see if they had considered the new lease, and turns out they speak almost no English!

The notices I delivered have obviously all been in English, so I imagine they just dropped them in the trash. When I asked them if they had considered staying and signing a new lease or if they were going to move at the end of their term, I got a "No Thanks".

I'm planning on attempting a notice in Spanish, trying to get a time where I can go over in person and use Google Translate to speak back and forth (my spoken Spanish won't be any good for explaining the terms of a Lease). 

Has anyone else dealt with something like this? 

EDIT: I should also note that if I allow them to sign a new lease, it is an extremely small chance that they will report maintenance issues. Of the 4 units, there's had a decent amount of damage, trash on the ground, and was the dirtiest unit by far. 

Loading replies...