Tenant calls on neighboring tenant about violations

7 Replies

If I'm getting calls from only 1 tenants about drug activity, or people living in a unit not on a lease, what is the best way to proceed? Do I out right go and ask fellow neighbors in the same apartment building if they've noticed the same or is that 'fishing' for evidence against the suspected tenant in violation of the lease?

Its my assumption that I have to actually find plausible evidence, not just 1 tenants complaints', to move forward on notices of violation.

Steven J.

Try to find the real issue. Visitors at odd hours? Noise? Smell? Parking? How long has it been since your last fire/safety inspection?

Inspect the units to look for signs.. Inform the tenants that is term for eviction.

This is why cameras work great as deterants. 

@Michael 

Account Closed how do I prove that issues are going on? I don't think its feasbile to do inspections every so often and assume the same guest is living there as well. Keep in mind, I'm very conservative when it comes to make accusations of tenants.

Steven J.

Originally posted by @Steven J. :

@Michael 

Account Closed how do I prove that issues are going on? I don't think its feasbile to do inspections every so often and assume the same guest is living there as well. Keep in mind, I'm very conservative when it comes to make accusations of tenants.

I wouldn't try to prove it. I would just remind them of their lease terms. Are they on m2m leases? 

Nope, year long with 11 more months to go. 

Steven J.

Excessive traffic to apartment. Is #1 heads up you have a problem. Write them a notice that they are having to much traffic to their apartment and it's causing a disturbance. 

That unauthorized people not on the lease cannot stay their.

That if they have any visitors for longer than xxx days it needs to be approved.

Get a crime free/ drug free addendum and get it passed out and signed by every resident today, so you can enforce that addendum.

Have neighbor that alerted you to call police if they smell or see anything that's an issue. 

Do you have a record of whose tenants cars are parked on your property with license and registration, if not do this.

Put up tow signs and strictly enforce for resident use only. others towed.

Make irregular visits to property yourself and don't park in the same spot when you come and get in the buliding and listen and see what's up.

Inform mail man that only mail to xxx tenants is to be delivered, if their name is not on the box they can't leave any other mail 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.