Best Practice for Time Stamping Photos for Walkthroughs/Damages

Best Practice for Time Stamping Photos for Walkthroughs/Damages

Investor · Upper Darby , PA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hello all,

I had a general question about time stamping photos, I was wondering what everyone's best practice was for time stamping photos during the move-in & move-out process with tenants. I'm not sure if I'm thinking too much into it, but do you use a newspaper or something in addition to your camera/phone to prove time stamped photos. 

My cautionary thinking was that with technology it's not to difficult for someone to change the time stamp on digital photos. I was wondering if anyone had foolproof ways of time stamps and if anyone had any experience or stories about being challenged in small claims court.  I know it's a stretch, but just curious, and wondering how everyone protects themselves. 

Thanks,
Paul

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Goodyear, AZ · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 27 votes
9y

iPhones automatically date images. You can screen-cap them from your phone with the date and time.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You can set a digital camera to time stamp the date on the corner of the photo. then if you print it out you have it. 

    My cell phone doesn't have this option, but maybe it's an application that could be added.

    I've not experienced a challenge regarding a photo for documenting status of move in or move outs and I also take photo of apartment door partially open showing unit number.

  • Goodyear, AZ · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    iPhones automatically date images. You can screen-cap them from your phone with the date and time.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Torin Murphin

    Thanks for the update about the phone I'm gonna figure it out..

    :)

  • Goodyear, AZ · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick of course! Here's my two-year-old on Halloween with the date and time :)

    You can also easily crop the photo with just the date and time if needed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2013 · 369 posts · 639 votes
    9y

    @Paul McCormick Jr  I've recently started documenting the condition of the house via an email exchange with the tenants. I'll take photos of the overall condition of the house, and then specific photos of any items the tenants want annotated. I'll then send those photos to the tenants via email with an open/read receipt and require they respond that they accept the house in its present condition. All communications via email are date/time stamped so it leaves very little room for dispute in court.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    I email the pictures to myself so there is a record of when they were done 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.