• Property Manager
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
Problems with Dogs...

Matthew Harrison
  • Property Manager
  • Redford, MI
Posted Mar 27 2017, 05:16

Hello BP. I am wondering what some opinions are from the community about my new tenants.  I just collected first months rent from my new tenants that have 2 dogs.  While in the house I noticed there are a few piles of feces and urine in the basement (which is completely unfinished, bare concrete floor and walls).  If the problem is contained to the basement, and cleaned up by the tenant at the end of the lease is this cause for any loss of security deposit? (I know the answer lies in what is outlined in my lease, so my question is what would YOUR leases dictate, or how would YOU handle the situation?)

User Stats

Votes
Stanley Parsley
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Mar 27 2017, 05:20

I do no animals in my properties

just because of that reason

ive found you cant have nice things with animals- unless your in the country and have acreage so they stay outside- then there is the digging problem

I would change your leases to reflect no animals

cat urine is the worst you cannot ever get that smell out without a lot of tear out and work

enjoy

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Harrison
  • Property Manager
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Redford, MI
Replied Mar 27 2017, 05:28

Yes I have heard that cat urine is much worse than dog.... So I guess ill be thankful for that? lol

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michelle B.
  • Investor
  • Lebanon, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lebanon, OH
Replied Mar 27 2017, 05:31

Matthew Harrison

I used to have no pets policy and changed a couple years ago. I have had good luck thus far. Screening the tenant well helps. Those that are responsible in other areas of their life are usually responsible with their pets as well.

Having said that, if you are seeing piles of feces and urine stains ANYWHERE in the house, I would say it's safe to say you are in trouble. I would warn them about their responsibilities, do an inspection a month or so later and if it continues I would look to evict them.

Good luck!
Michelle

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 27 2017, 05:42

At best you can only do your regular quarterly inspections and stay on top of the situation. It is always best for landlords to do tenant caused damage repairs as they are discovered and immediately bill to tenants rather than wait till they move out to use the deposit.

Responsible landlords rarely need to use the deposit if they stay on top of their tenant situations.

Pets are/can be very destructive which means if you do not have a no pet policy the best you can rely on is luck. If you care about your property condition a no pet policy is highly recommended.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Mar 27 2017, 11:44

I would tell the tenants that while you understand and appreciate that they may restrict the dog to the basement while they are out and that is probably a good practice if their toilet training is not complete. However, if animals have accidents they should clean them promptly and the basement is not to be used as a toilet.  Urine seeps into the concrete and leaves a smell. You want to convey that this isn't what they should train the animals to do.   This would be like putting an engine in your living room, yes people do it but is it customary normal use of the space?

User Stats

Votes
John Bower
  • Property Manager
  • Voorheesville, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Voorheesville, NY
Replied Mar 27 2017, 12:56

If you allow pets,  you should also create a pet policy for your residents that outline the cleanup/damage expectations.  If they have violated their lease,  then definitely send them a lease violation letter letting them know they have a certain amount of time to clean up or they will be charged for you to do it.  After being charged once for cleanup,  I would hope they would be more on top of their pets bathroom issues.

User Stats

Votes
Linda S.
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 27 2017, 13:30

@Matthew Harrison,

I have a very strong love/hate relationship with dogs, on one side we allow them with a pet deposit (no pit bulls),  require tenants to carry renters insurance of at least $100K liability,... and nearly all our tenants have dogs-- I believe they pick us because we allow them.     So I love them because our vacancies are pretty much nonexistent, and they have done studies that pet owners stay longer and are happier....  however not everyone treats dogs the same way, and not everyone sees a mess as an urgent issue.   

My solution, is we make our properties as indestructible as possible, tile flooring throughout and we caulk like crazy to avoid it getting underneath.    We also give a lot of cleaning supplies at move in, setting the tone of expectations.  

If I were you,   I'd be upfront  with them.   They probably don't think concrete can be damaged, so they actually might be more responsible/caring than you think.   I'd let them know you saw the problem, and would like monthly inspections.   I'd also have them sign off on the cost it will hit them, if they ignore the issue-- how much would it cost you to fix the floor?   I'm guessing if they saw  $1,000+ as a possible fee because of something as silly as their dog having an accident, they'd realize it's a serious offense. 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Mar 27 2017, 15:20

@Matthew Harrison , having feces anywhere in the house is disgusting. Is this covered in your lease? If not, you may wish to do so going forward. If it is, I would give them a X-day notice to cure or quit, in compliance with your state landlord tenant laws. I'm pretty sure in my state it's 3 days, but it might be 7. I haven't had to use it yet.

This is completely unacceptable. 

User Stats

Votes
Vern M.
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Mar 27 2017, 19:10

that would definitely violate housekeeping and maintaining a healthy environment. 

Give cure or quit, go back in a week with a uv light. Give them the number to professional cleaner, or have them pay a charge (or take security) and hire the cleaners yourself.