Switching from Month-to-Month to 1 yr Lease

Switching from Month-to-Month to 1 yr Lease

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes

My tenants are on a month to month "at-will" agreement, and have been for a year. I like month to month as it leaves flexibility for both parties. I have now been reading a lot on here and everyone is under the some consensus that Spring/Summer is the best time for renting out your apartment. 

My question: Should I continue to let them stay on a month to month lease and hope they don't end up leaving on an off month eventually (Jan/Feb/etc.) 

OR

Do I have them sign a year lease now and continue renewing in yearly increments in order to maintain the correct cycle of tenants moving out/in during the spring/summer months?

My concern is how the tenants will take this. Good thing? Bad thing? I just don't know!! They tell me they want to stay for a minimum of another couple years, but that could change in a heartbeat. I take it with a grain of salt. A year lease is something in writing. Thoughts?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 8 votes
9y
I have every single one of my tenants under a month to month rental agreement. The lease protects the tenants, not the owners. I have no problem renting my units out within a week of a tenant moving out so I don't see the stability problem other people might deal with in a lower demand market.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 190 votes
    9y

    I like the idea of a year lease. So I would propose that you have them sign a year lease. If they are hesitant you can explain to them that it protects them from rate increases mid-lease. 

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y
    I sign a year lease agreement with my "regular" tenants and a month to month for those who are often late in payments or a risk for an eviction.
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    In 19yrs, I've N E V E R use a full years lease.  My lease is 3months to ensure some stability, but give me (and the tenant) the right to Non-Renewal.  Now I prefer families with children and the school year begins in Sept, so I am sensitive to getting all units rented before then. (btw: several have stayed multiple years and one even 8yrs).

    A full years lease gives more power to the tenant  and protects me from nothing!

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    I have every single one of my tenants under a month to month rental agreement. The lease protects the tenants, not the owners. I have no problem renting my units out within a week of a tenant moving out so I don't see the stability problem other people might deal with in a lower demand market.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.