• Investor
  • Howey In The Hills, FL
Votes |
Firing a property manager

Alex SImon
  • Investor
  • Howey In The Hills, FL
Posted May 8 2017, 12:39

How do you fire a property manager, properly?

I don't have a contract with them on which I can fall back, they were the in-house property manager of the turnkey company I bought through.  I'd buy from them again, but I won't hold with them.  They haven't even gotten me copies of the leases for all my tenants, which I've asked for time and time again.  There may or may not be an eviction ongoing from last month; I don't know because they won't freaking talk to me.

I've got a new property manager I want to put in place, but no idea how to shove the old ones out the door when they won't answer phone calls or emails and I'm on the other side of the planet.  Do I simply call the tenants directly (it was like pulling teeth to even get contact info) and tell them not to pay those guys anymore?

I'm lost.  Please help.

User Stats

Votes
Deanna McCormick
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied May 8 2017, 12:51

send them a certified next day air letter signature required,, and Inform tenants also of your contact infor and how rent is to be submitted..and you could ask tenants for copy of lease at last resort.

this sounds rather fishy, have you been receiving any money.. 

User Stats

Votes
Shaun Patterson
  • Property Manager
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied May 8 2017, 14:36

This sounds like taking a trip down to the properties to actually make sure that you have tenants in them. I would be scared to do any more business with them. Have the property manager go by the properties and verify everything with the tenants. As  @Deanna McCormick  said send a certified letter stating your intent to cancel the verbal contract. If its a turnkey provider check the original documents to see if it has anything about their leasing company and fees or contracts. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 8 2017, 15:53

If you are local, I would start by visiting the property and talking to the tenants. Try to determine what they are paying for rent, terms of their lease, deposits, contact information, condition of the property, if they've had any communication with the Landlord, etc. If you have paid for repairs, I would verify it was done and done properly.

After viewing the property I would go to the Property Manager's office and demand termination within seven days. In fact, I would give them a specific day and time that I would be back to collect all documents, keys, tenant files, deposits, etc. I would state this verbally but leave a written notice with them and demand a signature of receipt on my copy.

I normally think 30 days is an appropriate amount of time for them to prepare everything for transfer but in this case I would keep them on a short lease.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 8 2017, 15:54

If you are not local, then I would consider sending it certified mail.

By the way, I would take copious notes and file a complaint with the real estate commission as soon as the transfer was complete. This kind of behavior is unacceptable in any profession.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo