what to do with tenants during major plumbing repairs

what to do with tenants during major plumbing repairs

Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I bought a duplex  last year and have both sides rented.  Now the plumbing backed up so I had a plumber run a camera and he is telling me all the cast iron plumbing is no good under the slab so will need to do major work to get the plumbing working again but don't know what im suppose to do with the tenants for the week or two while we fix plumbing issues and insurance will not cover any expenses so is there anything I can do moving forward that will accommodate for the large expenses?  

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
6y

@Eric Rodriguez I suggest either giving them a credit on their rent or putting them up in a hotel or Airbnb for the days that they cannot occupy their unit.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Monroe, WI · Member since 2015 · 691 posts · 610 votes
    9y

    See if they can stay with family and forgive rent for the days they can't occupy the unit or if they don't have the option of family, if you want to be generous and caring, pay for a hotel room for a week or two.

  • Investor · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I'm in the same boat with my rental unit. Cast Iron sewage line seems to be causing repeated blockages and the basement tenant can't stay while things are being repaired. Insurance is able to cover lost rent, but since the tenant doesn't have any family in the area I'm not sure how to handle it. Other than helping with a hotel.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Eric Rodriguez I suggest either giving them a credit on their rent or putting them up in a hotel or Airbnb for the days that they cannot occupy their unit.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    A week? That seems questionable. I'd get another plumber, preferably one with the equipment to do trenchless sewer lining repair.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.