Who is responsible: tenant or landlord?

Who is responsible: tenant or landlord?

Kurt PhillipsPro Member
Realtor · Lancaster, OH · Member since 2017 · 163 posts · 120 votes

I've just recently taken over managing my properties from a property manager only to find smoke alarms chirping and no furnace filters changed out.....ever.  I replaced batteries and filters in 2 units but I'm sure the rest of them have not been replaced either.

My question: do you guys charge your tenants for filters and batteries or simply expect them to take care of it themselves?  Yeah right!  Or do you simply count it as the cost of doing business and eat it?

0Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

When a new tenant moves in we show them how to change filters, batteries, light bulbs, tighten the p-traps, unclog drains, turn of water supply lines, etc. We then give them an instruction manual and are in the process of making videos. With that we give them 12 furnace filters, batteries, a zipper (the plastic drain cleaner). We also send out monthly emails in the winter as reminders to change furnace filters and check their detectors. We then stop by at the start of winter and then 3 months after that to check on filters and the house in general. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You want to keep your tenants, so charging them for batteries and furnace filters is something I would recommend not doing.  Place a couple of filters next to the furnace.   Make sure they are changed before winter comes.  Also, smoke detectors in kitchens almost always get removed and never put back up again.  Place them a bit outside the kitchen.   Home Depot now sells Smoke Detectors with 10 year internal batteries that can't be changed.  They aren't cheap.  Charge them if they go missing.  

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    I tell my tenants that these things are their responsibility, but twice a year, I take a day to visit each house and change them myself.  Gives me a chance to look the place over, and to remind them again to change them.  I have a 20% compliance with them changing them.  LOL

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Tenants are responsible but they never do it. We check filters whenever we are there and remind tenants. We are probably going to move to a model where we do all of the properties ourselves every month or so and just build the cost into the rent.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Professional · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    It is absolutely a renter responsibility to change the filters. But I don't think renters know or care enough to do it themselves. Set up reminders to send your tenants every three months to change the air filters. Do a six-month inspection, like @Roger S. recommends, and  when you check the filter and discover it hasn't been changed, even after you reminded them, it will show them how serious you are. You can give your tenants a filter this one time, and show them how easy it is to change. Let them know this one is a gift, but per their lease it is their responsibility to change them. Remind your tenant that they are super affordable. But if you discover they haven't been changing the filter during the next inspection, they will be charged a lease violation fee and have to pay for the cost of a new replacement filter which you install.

  • Kurt PhillipsPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Lancaster, OH · Member since 2017 · 163 posts · 120 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the responses everyone!  I did change the batteries and the filters without charging the tenants.  I pride myself of running properties in which the tenants have limited responsibilities, which justifies asking a little more in rent.  

    Although I hear ya @Kaycee Miller.  That is a very interesting point of view that I will take into consideration.  Something similar went through my mind as I was purchasing said batteries and filters!

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I've got some bad news for landlords. Your tenants aren't changing the air filters.

    And a dirty air filter is the fastest way to lose a compressor, especially when there isn't enough return air on the house to begin with.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    When a new tenant moves in we show them how to change filters, batteries, light bulbs, tighten the p-traps, unclog drains, turn of water supply lines, etc. We then give them an instruction manual and are in the process of making videos. With that we give them 12 furnace filters, batteries, a zipper (the plastic drain cleaner). We also send out monthly emails in the winter as reminders to change furnace filters and check their detectors. We then stop by at the start of winter and then 3 months after that to check on filters and the house in general. 

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 80 posts · 64 votes
    9y
    This trust issue is a disadvantage I'm sure for folks that use a PM. I wonder how many LL's have been charged to "replace" a garbage disposal when the issue was just a quarter-turn with that handy dandy allen wrench?
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I forgot to mention: two things we include with every new rental: A clean spare filter, usually placed under the sink or in a closet, and a set of felt pads for furniture legs for our homes with wood floors (just about all of them). We also refer to both in the information sheet that goes with the house, that is e-mailed to all tenants (so we have proof of receipt). I specify that gouges and major scratches in wood floors are not considered normal wear and tear, nor is damage to heating & air systems caused by clogged filters. Also, leaving a spare filter gives them a clean one to install at least once, and then they have the old one to take with them to Lowe's to match it up.

    Nevertheless, we still find that changing filters is something none of the tenants do. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mark Radford:
    This trust issue is a disadvantage I'm sure for folks that use a PM. I wonder how many LL's have been charged to "replace" a garbage disposal when the issue was just a quarter-turn with that handy dandy allen wrench?

     Wouldn't happen to us (even if we used professional PMs): I take the garbage disposal out of all rental properties. They're nothing but trouble and dangerous besides. Disposals come out and icemakers are capped. Both are damage waiting to happen. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Todd Dexheimer:

    When a new tenant moves in we show them how to change filters, batteries, light bulbs, tighten the p-traps, unclog drains, turn of water supply lines, etc. We then give them an instruction manual and are in the process of making videos. With that we give them 12 furnace filters, batteries, a zipper (the plastic drain cleaner). We also send out monthly emails in the winter as reminders to change furnace filters and check their detectors. We then stop by at the start of winter and then 3 months after that to check on filters and the house in general. 

     Wow I'm impressed.

    Investments raise or sink on mangement.

    I hope you included some sort of fine if your tenants fail to perform their required maintenance duties. It's really in their best interests to learn how to maintain a home. They eventually want to own their own home right ??? 

    I don't think I'd ever want to deal with a tenant who never sees themselves becoming an independent, free thinking landowner and foresees that the best outcome that they could ever achieve for themselves and their family, in life, was living in a big box apartment complex.

    I'm probably just not thinking like an investor. Maybe I'm just ignorant, I dunno.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 80 posts · 64 votes
    9y
    @Jd Martin That's something worth considering. Had a tenant's boyfriend putting bottle caps in the disposal. Bottle. Caps.
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Roger S. . Our lease makes the tenant responsible, but twice a year we go through our units to change filters and once a year we do smoke detector checks. It gets us in the units and tenants appreciate the service rather than resenting "an inspection"

  • Kurt PhillipsPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Lancaster, OH · Member since 2017 · 163 posts · 120 votes
    9y

    That's a great point  

    @JD Martin about the garbage disposals.  I currently only have one duplex that has garbage disposals in both sides that I've considered removing.  I recently had some friends, thank God not in one of my units, that put down a large left over bowl of spaghetti noodles down the garbage disposal and ground them up..  This equals:  very very bad idea!

    @Account Closed I'll take a whole building full of people with no ambition to ever own a home but pay their rent and stay for 30 years each!  ; )  

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Kurt Phillips

    Absolutely 100% Landlord expense--- you can ask them to change the filters, but at the end of the day.. you're responsible for a working smoke detector, and it's in your best interest to change the filters to expand the life of the HVAC system.   

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Phillips:

    That's a great point  

    @JD Martin about the garbage disposals.  I currently only have one duplex that has garbage disposals in both sides that I've considered removing.  I recently had some friends, thank God not in one of my units, that put down a large left over bowl of spaghetti noodles down the garbage disposal and ground them up..  This equals:  very very bad idea!

    @Account Closed I'll take a whole building full of people with no ambition to ever own a home but pay their rent and stay for 30 years each!  ; )  

     I know of someone that did the same thing, only they thought that one garbage disposal took care of two sinks, so they crammed a refrigerator full of leftover crap down the sink that didn't have the big disposal opening. Yeah, people really can be that dumb!

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Princeton, KS · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 169 votes
    9y

    Tenants won't change filters, no matter how big a stack of new ones you give them. Smoke detectors get "decommissioned" when the batteries start dying. GUARANTEED!

    I change the HVAC filters every month myself - tenants know & agree to this before signing a lease. I also change out all batteries in smoke/CO detectors twice a year. In truth, I've had good response from tenants by doing this - they appreciate that I take care of the property. I always ask if anything is even remotely broken, loose, etc. & make arrangements to fix it ASAP.

    Disposals, ice makers & dishwashers - no! (I realize some properties pretty much have to have a dishwasher, but not around here.) These are all PIAs waiting to happen.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Not only do tenants not change the filters, ever no matter how many you give them, owner occupants don't do it either.

    I'm inside a lot of houses, and I always check the furnace filter. 100% of the time, it's black as midnight.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.