Votes
Brandon Kraemer
  • Hogansville, GA
Votes |
Tenants Left 2 Months Early - Georgia

Brandon Kraemer
  • Hogansville, GA
Posted Oct 9 2017, 02:59

I've been renting my house to a friend and his wife for the last 2 years.  That was a mistake.  They were always late, had dogs, chickens, painted rooms absurd colors, and got paint everywhere.  About 2 months ago I sent a certified letter stating that we would nto be renewing a lease and I listed the reasons.  They left at the beginning of September.  Their lease was up October 31st.  They only gave a week notice that they were leaving.  I originally told them I would give them $350 for painting the shutters and painting the inside of the house, but after seeing the condition of the house I told them I was no longer going to offer that.  They owe me $1800 in rent.  My friend actually asked me when I was gonna give them $500 for moving out early.  They also never returned me the keys and garage door remotes.

My question here is what should I do?  I'm owed $1800 for rent, minus their $450 deposit and $150 they paid toward a refrigerator, but never finished paying on.  I'm also gonna have about $600 in paint to repair their mess ups, not including carpet cleaning.  Changing the locks was $70 and both garage door remotes were $40 total.  Should I file a police report for the keys, remotes, and paint damage?  Also, do I file an eviction to sue them or do I have to go to small claims court?  I do not know what their new address is.  Is there a way I can get their new address?

Thank you for your help.

Loading replies...