• Dorchester, Ontario
Votes |
Tenant not paying utilities

Kris Betkowski
  • Investor
  • Dorchester, Ontario
Posted Oct 13 2017, 07:20

Hi to All,

I’m looking for advice on Utilities not paid (Ontario). I have a currently financially struggling tenant occupying my rental unit. The lease agreement indicates that they are to pay the hydro and gas utilities. In 2017, they started paying rent late every 2nd or so month. Each time they were late I did serve them the N4 (notice of termination). The tenant managed to come up with the rent with in the 14days. Therefore I never submitted the L1 (application to terminate the tenancy ) to the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Last time the tenant was late I stated that I’m tired of chasing my rent and next time they would be late I would use the N8 (Notice to End your Tenancy for late payments) which I have documented. Since then 3 months the rent arrived on the 1st. Yesterday I received a letter from the Gas company, stating that they would shot off the gas to the property unless I take over the payment. I can let them turn it off but will have to pay a fee for turning it back on. Winter is fast approaching, the unit should not be subject to sub freezing temps for obvious reasons. If you have experience in this type of a matter I would appreciate you advise. Ideally, I would like to get possession of my unit un occupied asap. Do I evict him for late rent payments in the past or is there a way to quickly evict someone for not paying their utilities?

Thank you in advance. 

Loading replies...