CARPET in Rental Property (If left with no choice!)

8 Replies

I always steer away from installing carpet in rental properties. I May do Bedrooms occasionally. I'm writing looking for advice on carpet installs... Sometimes in older homes the floors are damaged to the point where carpet is the fastest / best looking option for a quick rehab. I know Laminate is an option but labor can get expense and its time consuming. What is the best type of carpet as far as look and durability for rentals? Where is the best place to shop for carpet ? all input and photos is much appreciated !!

i have some with wood floors that had stains that wouldnt sand out , digs in the wood . So I just sanded them and then broke out a torch and made some more distress marks , I also took a chain and beat the floors with it .  Then i hit them light with a darker stain and wiped it off . Then I hit with  semi gloss poly .  They looked good .    

Plus the tenants always put down some rugs and you dont see much floor anyway 

Originally posted by @Nolan Gray :

I always steer away from installing carpet in rental properties. I May do Bedrooms occasionally. I'm writing looking for advice on carpet installs... Sometimes in older homes the floors are damaged to the point where carpet is the fastest / best looking option for a quick rehab. I know Laminate is an option but labor can get expense and its time consuming. What is the best type of carpet as far as look and durability for rentals? Where is the best place to shop for carpet ? all input and photos is much appreciated !!

A neutral color that is a little on the darker side is always a good option.

@Matthew Paul I see. I guess I'm trying to find some positives with carpet on this post. I've noticed a lot of newer buildings and condos have carpet.

When I rent in those newly built apartments in Silicon Valley, they use carpet across the whole apt excluding bathroom and kitchen, and we were charged for carpet cleaning when we move out. So we thought it's a good idea to put carpet into  rental apartments, because it also keeps noise down especially you have multiple-residential building. But when we invest in Ontario Canada, everybody we asked suggested us to keep away from carpet, because tenant won't take care of the carpet, and we will end up changing carpet when they move out, and it's not easy to pass the carpet cleaning fee to tenants that move out. I guess whether to install carpet, it depends on the location and the tenant and landlord regulations.

Ever thought of carpet tiles?  The hospital I worked at used them in areas where there was carpet. 

Here in Georgia we have carpet manufactures up in north Georgia.  Early on I'd order overstock carpet tiles from them.  These are large tiles (often 18 inches by 18 inches) so they go down fairly quickly.   I'd always order some extra and keep it in storage.  That way if a tile got damaged or stained it could be removed and replaced easily.

Gail

We did carpet for years, but it's true you're more likely than not replacing them after every tenant. A cheap laminate floor (floating with qtr round) is actually really easy to install, and is way more durable (LV for kitchens and bathrooms). Do you have nobody cheap on your team with a table saw? My guy can do a laminate floor in about 4-5 hours per room (he's kinda old and like breaks), but if you plan it well, it's usually worth it.

The contractor grade carpet is the most affordable type of flooring. In expensive area like Northern CA they will install as low as $2/sf with pad and labor included.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.