Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Travis Wylie
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Harrisburg, PA
Votes |
Tenant refusing to sign lease

Travis Wylie
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Harrisburg, PA
Posted Oct 20 2017, 13:00
Here's the situation that I'm in. I closed on October 2nd in my first sellers financing deal on a duplex. On the one side the tenant and her husband and child have lived there for 3 years and are currently on a month to month lease. We agreed on a time to meet at the property to have them sign my lease. When I showed up they were not there and were ignoring my phone calls, but very soon after he the ability to text me saying they weren't home and to leave the lease in the mailbox for them to review. This happened last Saturday and they've been ignoring me all week when I've reached out to pick up the signed lease and go over it with them in person. My lease was only going to be a 6 month lease and then it'll transfer over to month to month automatically. The tenant informed me her husband did not like that and that they were moving out. They are not communicating at all when the move out date will be. I offered the "cash for keys" if they were out by the end of this month but as of the writing of this post (10/20/2017) I have not hear anything. What immediate actions can I take? Since they are on a month to month lease can I tell them I will not be renewing their lease and need them out by end of November? Can I pursue eviction since I'm assuming they are violating lease by not signing mine? One of the clauses in my lease is that I need a 60 days notice of when you are moving out or I have the right to keep all/or a portion of the security deposit. Can I still enforce this since they did not sign my lease? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm trying to embrace the journey as a learning experience and won't let the frustration get to me! Determined landlord, Travis

Loading replies...