• Denver, PA
Votes |
Would You Rent To This Applicant?

Tim Porsche
  • Investor
  • Denver, PA
Posted Dec 10 2017, 13:26

Hi All,

I've recently had someone apply for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment I have for rent. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should accept the application or not and would greatly appreciate any feedback one way or the other. Here are the pros and cons below.

Pros:

Has a part time job and seems clean and responsible. Nonsmoker, no pets.

Has kids in the area and plans to stay longer term...several years or more.

Has $60,000+ in savings. Am awaiting bank statements to confirm this.

No criminal history or prior evictions. Owned home prior to this. 

Willing to pay a years rent in advance and do month to month for the lease. Instead I'm considering just asking for a double security deposit though. 

Cons:

Has a chapter 7 Joint bankruptcy with her (former) husband on file from 03/2017. 

Has a joint credit card with a $13,000 limit that has $13,600 on it currently and is 30 days past due.

Has several other joint credit cards that were cancelled. 

The rent is $715\month but she only brings in $1,700\month currently. She said her lawyer told her she should get at least $1,000\month in alimony starting in January though which would bring her monthly income to $2,700. 

When asked about the bankruptcy and past due\cancelled cards, here is what she wrote in response.

"Earlier this year I had found out that my husband of 31 years was having online and in person affairs and after some marital counseling I decided to get a divorce as he was continuing his behavior. This resulted in the Joint Bankruptcy as finances were a problem. The Chase line of credit is a joint account for his car which he is supposed to be paying on and has been sporadic in his payments. My attorney is currently dealing with him on this. The accounts that were cancelled by the creditor were due to the bankruptcy.

Just to add: the divorce situation is non-contested and there are no problems with violence or anything else. We have both decided to go our separate ways. I am looking to move to the Reading area to be closer to my son and his family who live in Sinking Springs. I am very interested in the W Walnut Street apartment as it is in a safe neighborhood and I think it would be good fit for me. I hope you will be able to make a positive decision in choosing me as the tenant."

Taking everything into consideration, including large amount of savings, would you rent to this person? If so what precautions would you take...is getting a double security enough and doing month to month for the lease? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Loading replies...