• Investor
  • TX
Votes |
New tenants tried the old pet switcheroo

Roger S.
  • Investor
  • TX
Posted Jan 9 2018, 20:23

Leased a house to a young couple the other day.  My ad clearly states, no big dogs, no pits, no cats.  The backyard of this house is fenced, but it's not very tall.  When my wife showed them the house they said they had a dog, but his sister was going to keep it for him.    So, they signed the lease, paid the money and started moving in.    Today, they texted my wife that sister couldn't keep the dog, but not to worry it's crate trained and only goes outside on a leash.   And, oh yeah, it's a Great Dane.  

So, I told them in no uncertain terms, NO.   If you try to keep this dog, I'm cancelling the lease immediately, and refunding the money.   They asked if they could pay 100 bucks a month more and I could inspect the house monthly.  Again, I said no, I don't need the extra hassle of every month going to see if this horse has destroyed my house.

I think they thought we would roll over, and I may have when i first started out, but now I've learned better.   I'm almost positive they did this intentionally, because they then asked what kinds of dogs were acceptable as they would have to get a new baby after they get rid of the Great Dane.   

Loading replies...