• Investor
  • Chicago Heights, IL
Votes |
Letting Tenant out of Lease Early?

Alyse Moore
  • Investor
  • Chicago Heights, IL
Posted Jan 16 2018, 09:48

Hi All! Looking for some advice on whether I should let tenant out of lease early. 

I got an email from my property manager today which has a couple emails between her and the tenant I have on the first floor. This tenant can be described as "the complainer". The tenant is asking to be removed from her lease because of the noise from the tenant on the 2nd floor (tenant on 2nd floor has 2 small children). She also complained that the door knob lock on 1 of her bedrooms still isn't fixed and that there isn't any lighting on the porch (as explained to her plenty of times porch lighting is being budgeted for and will be updated soon). My property manager reached out to the tenant on the 2nd floor on the noise when the tenant on the 1st floor complained and is in the process of reaching out to that tenant again. I have 3 issues with the tenants' complaints which make them sound very suspect:

1. It's an old building and you can hear if people are walking. If there are children running on the 2nd floor I can hear it, however I have not heard children running often within the last 1 1/2 months.

2. The tenant on the 1st floor is barely there. She works all day during the day and comes in late at night. Weekends she's barely there as well, and I know this because I can hear people walking when they're in the building. Especially the tenant on the 1st floor.

3. Why is the tenant so diligent about a bedroom door lock? I've lived in apartments before where the bedroom doors didn't lock, kitchen cabinet knob may be missing, etc...and I never cared nor thought to complain to the landlord. 

*FYI, it's a 3 flat building. I live in the basement unit.* 

My question is what would you all do in this situation?

She pays rent on time which I like, however she complains all the time. It's a very nice apartment and in great condition.

I'm thinking if I decided to let her out of her lease she'll have to pay 2-3 months rent which will cover my vacancy costs.If I decide to have a legal battle with her I'm quite sure I'll win, but it will cost me time and money.

Thoughts? 

Loading replies...