How much to charge for having to repaint after 52 tenancy?

12 Replies

Evicted Tenants after 1 month and they wrecked the freshly painted walls. 

How much do I charge for the damage?

I don't have time to get the house entirely completed before going to court tomorrow.

It must be repainted before rerenting, they smeared black stuff everywhere and it ate into the paint and they smashed into the corners.

Please help directly or redirect me to a previous post to help - I have been searching through so many discussions and have not found one yet.  Running out of time to prepare.

Additionally, it will take 2 weeks to repaint this 1,910 sq ft house.

THANK YOU!!!!

52 day* tenancy

I had to evict because they never paid first, last or damage deposit before they broke in and moved in. We had a written lease.  I have possession now and they left their 9 year old alone even after the sheriff locked the doors and provided possession.

@Heather Olson I think the best thing to have would be a quote from a painter that way you have documentation to take to court. Since you are short on time maybe someone can give you a written estimate based on Sq Ft of house and email to you. That should cover you. I'd include the down time you have (lost rent) while house is being painted. Get same person to give you time estimate as well as price.

You should have 30 days to return any deposit along with written explanation of funds being held for damage.

So I doubt the deposit or how much you might give back will be discussed with judge during eviction.

My lease clearly says that if they break lease they loose all the deposit so damage expenses may not come into play at all.  Even if it doesn't specifically address this they are in breach of contract which should void the deposit either way.

Consult an attorney if your still not sure.

Thank you! @John Underwood I will take your advice for the quote.  The hearing tomorrow is for damages.  They paid no damage deposit because they broke in and took their possession illegally before paying.

Originally posted by @Heather Olson :

Thank you! @John Underwood I will take your advice for the quote.  The hearing tomorrow is for damages.  They paid no damage deposit because they broke in and took their possession illegally before paying.

If I understood your posts, they did not pay first,last, or security deposit. When you say they "took their possession" by breaking in, were you saying you had approved them as tenants and they signed a lease but not yet handed over keys? Or did you mean to say they broke in to retrieve their possessions in the house?

Apologies if I overlooked details. 

Ask a painter for a quote. BP feedback is just speculation and can’t be used as evidence to support your claim in court.

Here companies won't quote unless you spend 2 hours with them while they try to earn your business.  I have been trying hard to get a quote.  And those appointments are being set over two weeks away.  Then add a month to schedule in the painting.  

Originally posted by @Susan H. :
Originally posted by @Heather Olson:

If I understood your posts, they did not pay first,last, or security deposit. When you say they "took their possession" by breaking in, were you saying you had approved them as tenants and they signed a lease but not yet handed over keys? Or did you mean to say they broke in to retrieve their possessions in the house?

Apologies if I overlooked details. 

Thanks for asking for clarification.  I met and interviewed them.  They filled in the application and did sign the contract to be able to get kids lined up for school.  I provided as a courtesy.  While we were working on the property and nearly finished they moved in their stuff and literally locked out the workers. I should have phoned the police then, but instead, I went to Court and had a hearing and Court ordered possession.  Sheriff locked them out. WE had to move out their belongings for them.

@Heather Olson Are you in Canada? If so this is a Canadian law question.

Around here monetary damages are based upon payment for repairs. No payment, no damages. Who scheduled a hearing on damages before doing the repairs? Things to think about perhaps.

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

@Heather Olson Are you in Canada? If so this is a Canadian law question.

Around here monetary damages are based upon payment for repairs. No payment, no damages. Who scheduled a hearing on damages before doing the repairs? Things to think about perhaps.

Property is in Florida.  I have an attorney.  I haven't asked for legal advice.  I thought that there might be a landlord on here who has had to repaint a property and I am wondering for a 1900 sq ft house what did they pay their painter.  The damages and possession are linked here so the court date is set, I suppose you rather let the squatters stay while you have it painted.  I rather get them out asap, legally and then repaint.  Maybe I am weird?

@Heather Olson Firstly - I'm very sorry to hear you have to go through with this. It's every landlord's nightmare.

I can share with you what I just paid a painter here in Ohio. I'd consider him to be about average rate-wise. He's a one man crew and he did this job in about 2 weeks.

1,300 sq ft, 4/2 Single-Family Home. He primed / painted all the walls + ceiling, doors (8 doors + 3 accordion closet doors), painted the base boards, and all of the trim.

$2,200 for the walls + ceiling

$750 in materials

$250 baseboards

$1,000 doors + trim

$4,200 total

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Originally posted by @Alex Huang :

@Heather Olson Firstly - I'm very sorry to hear you have to go through with this. It's every landlord's nightmare.

I can share with you what I just paid a painter here in Ohio. I'd consider him to be about average rate-wise. He's a one man crew and he did this job in about 2 weeks.

1,300 sq ft, 4/2 Single-Family Home. He primed / painted all the walls + ceiling, doors (8 doors + 3 accordion closet doors), painted the base boards, and all of the trim.

$2,200 for the walls + ceiling

$750 in materials

$250 baseboards

$1,000 doors + trim

$4,200 total

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was hoping to see!  TOTALLY HELPFUL!!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.