Does the purchase of a property trigger an updated tax assessment

Does the purchase of a property trigger an updated tax assessment

Modiin, Israel · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 4 votes

I’m looking at properties in Rochester NY that I’m considering purchasing at 25% above their current assessed value. Should I use in my projections the current property tax amount or should I assume that since I’m purchasing the house for 25% above its current assessed value, that my purchase price automatically becomes the updated assessed value and therefore I should budget for property taxes to be 25% higher than now.

Furthermore, if my purchase price becomes the updated assessed value, is that something that is triggered immediately upon the purchase or may still take a few years until the county updates it?

Is there any chance they would update it up but still below my purchase price?

Thanks for your help!

0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Niagara County NY · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    My understanding is that generally assessed value is a percentage of market value. If you find out what the assessment rate is, you should be able to figure out whether the assessment is in line with your purchase price. If it is, your taxes won’t increase. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.