Votes
Natalie Hideg
  • Bloomington , MN
Votes |
Security deposit disposition- carpet cleaning

Natalie Hideg
  • Bloomington , MN
Posted Mar 5 2018, 14:05
Hello, I’m a landlord in Minnesota. I’m about to turn tenants and I’ve scheduled my cleanings, maid service as well as carpet cleaning. My tenants have 2 cats. At one point in their 2 year tenancy my tenant was out of town and had their friend come to check on the cats. The tenant texted me to ask if I had anyone in the house (no) bc the door to where the cats litter box is was closed and they pooped all over the carpeted down stairs. (Probably your friend shut the door) Yuck. I’m getting the carpets cleaned at a discounted Groupon rate so the whole house is about $100, is it justifiable to pass the tenants the whole cost and not just the carpet where the cats pooped? I know the law states something like, security deposit is used for things for beyond reasonable wear and tear. What do you think about cleaning fees too? How do people generally pass on cleaning fees. Thanks everyone

User Stats

Votes
Shaun C.
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Mar 6 2018, 05:26

Pay this one or charge them, that's up to you; but next time put it in the lease that the tenant must have the carpets professionally steam cleaned and provide receipt at the end of tenancy. I do this and never have a problem because new tenants know they are getting freshly cleaned carpet when they arrive, so they should clean it for the next person.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Rysdam
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, MN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, MN
Replied Mar 6 2018, 11:26

If they pooped on the carpet did they pee also? That alone might require a lot more work. Cat pee is horrible. Wait until the cleaning is done and see how it smells. Then you'll know what to do.
I have it in my lease that they have to have it professionally cleaned. They never do, so I do it and take it out of the deposit. Nobody leaves clean carpets and I take pictures to prove it. You can never take too many pictures.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes