• Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Tenant Suicide- Please chime in.

Joshua D.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Mar 12 2018, 18:43

We had a tenant that committed suicide in one of our units. He hadn't paid rent this month, and we became concerned after 10 days went by. We posted a  Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate on the 10th day, and never heard back, which was extremely unlike him. So, my husband went over and noticed through the window that his dog was running around, and his cell phone was on the table. He knocked and walked slightly in the doorway, calling out the  tenants name, when he noticed the tenants legs with boots on, hanging outside of the bathroom tub, which he could see from the door.  You can guess the rest from there-he had shot himself in the tub. My husband called the police immediately, who came to the scene and then notified his family, and his family came to the house. The cops told my husband to ask the family what they wanted done with his things, and my husband asked, and they told my husband that they didn't want anything inside of the house-none of his belongings, and to just keep it or throw it all away. My concern is- is this legal? What would you do?

Thank you! P.S. We are in the state of PA, if that matters. 

Loading replies...