Going from Steam Boiler to Electric Baseboard Heat - Triplex

1 Reply

Hey Folks - Looking for some advice here...

I have a property with a single steam boiler and three apartments spread out on three floors of the building. I currently pay for the utilities but, without fail, I'll drive by the house during the winter and see windows open because the tenants are too ____________ to bend down and adjust the individual radiators in their apartments. There is currently one thermostat for the whole building located on the ground floor in apartment 1.

I know there's no good way to split the gas utility in such an old house, so I was exploring the idea of installing electric baseboard heaters and simply splitting the electric utility for the tenants to pay for themselves. I realize that gross rents would likely fall, but I would also stop paying the stupid gas and electric bill that comes every month!

Looking for some general thoughts. Bad idea, good idea. Worth exploring? Can I cut costs by approaching my steam boiler with a different strategy? Wifi thermostat? I'm open to new ideas!

Thanks,

Pete 

Good idea to split utilities, but tenants know that electric heat is the most expensive. Many will be turned off. Have a plumber come through and take a look - splitting the radiator lines so they are separate for each unit and getting 3 separate boilers and meters is not always as expensive as it seems.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.