• Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Dumpster service - bulk pricing

Stone Teran
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Apr 22 2018, 08:48

I have several apartment buildings and I am constantly jerked around by our dumpster providers, Rumpke and Republic.  Most sites have an 8 yard dumpster emptied weekly.  The dumpster providers tease a low rate and swiftly move in rate increases.  I once took over an apartment building that was managed by a somewhat large property management company and they had a "national rate" (even though they aren't national) that was far lower than what I pay.  Has anyone ever succeeded in getting something like this?  I bug the dumpster providers constantly about the rate increases and would love to lock in a "national rate" but they're not budging.  I need more info and leverage.  I have 8 sites with dumpsters. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tempel
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Apr 22 2018, 10:14

Yes, do this all the time :-). We have a month to month contract and great rates following this model with one company.

If you can find a smaller operator you will usually do much better vs. a large national vendor with 3 year contracts.

User Stats

Votes
Dick Rosen
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Apr 23 2018, 15:46

I have used several different providers and I have gotten the best deal and service from Waste Management. But I had to get to a rep in the commercial department first. In the past 6 years we've not had any rate increases.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ravi P.
  • Investor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied Apr 23 2018, 17:57
@Stone Teran call around, however, I recommend calling the big guys. I have had good luck with Waste Management and Also Groot., not sure if they are local. when calling ask to speak to the local Sales Rep. Yes, I said Sales Rep or Business Development Rep. The garbage industry does have Sales people. but be careful, there are so many feel that they can add on. so if you are not asking to the right questions you will get taken advantage of. If you are willing to sign a contract for 1,2 or 3 years they will be willing to give you a break. Some things to look out for are the fees. environmental fees, excessive weight fees, another trick of the industry is billing cycles. some will bill monthly so you are billed 12 times a year others may bill every 4 weeks so you get billed 13 times a year (52 weeks/4= 13 bill) based on my experience the big guys tend to play ball and kill on volume to shut out little guys. also these little guys rely on the big guys station to dump, so they charge a base fee and mark it up or put add on to make money.