yard too big for rental?

7 Replies

I plan to either sell or rent my current property to buy a multifamily. It is a smaller but newly updated house that will rent well but the yard is on an acre. Not sure if tenants typically enjoy the maintenance of a large yard or if that will intimidate most tenants. Also do I have to provide a lawn mower? Maybe I will list it for rent and for sale and see which offers are the most attractive

Thanks!!

Andy 

@Andy Rousch your idea to list the property for rent and sale is a good idea. For the lawn care, you need to determine if lawn care is typically done by the tenant or landlord for your area. You may need to reduce rent if the tenant agrees to maintain the large yard. I've always found as the landlord it's better to maintain the yard and charge market rent since ultimately you are responsible for maintaining the yard to the standard set by the county or city. Good luck!

All of our properties in my neighborhood are on 1-2 acres where I live. If it’s B class and better, leave a riding mower and they will be happy. Many people are renting out their homes here when they move here, and it’s not been a problem. 

When people choose a property THAT big, they want a big yard. It’s actually smaller yards that are more of a problem. A mow-and-blow is $80+ on an acre, so that starts getting really pricey to fold into the rental cost. Normally I lean toward raising the rent, but at $320/month (weekly maintenance is a must in nicer areas), that gets really ugly. 

You can’t expect tenants to maintain elaborate gardens anywhere, though. They even scare home buyers. 

@Andy Rousch A lot of tenants think a large yard is a huge plus, especially if they have pets or children. It's typical for the tenant to be responsible for lawn care regardless of the size of the lawn if it's a single family home, however as @Danny Randazzo mentioned, you are ultimately responsible for the upkeep. I put the tenants in charge, and send them notices or city complaints if they're not keeping up with the yard, make sure it's in your lease agreement that it's their responsibility and pass along any city fees to them that get charged due to an unkempt yard.

Thank you everyone! @Account Closed I have heard that Grand Rapids is a great place to invest do you know of any good property management and/or turnkey companies there? I like to keep my options open for long distance investing but or course would need a great property management company 

Hey @Andy Rousch - If you were to put the tenant's in charge of lawn care DO NOT supply the mower.  If the tenant cuts their fingers/toes off or they blow their back out pull starting the mower, you will get sued.  Reach out to me if you are looking for a manager, we work with a ton of great realtors that help you buy the investment property and then we manage it.  It's very seamless.

Originally posted by @Andy Rousch :

I plan to either sell or rent my current property to buy a multifamily. It is a smaller but newly updated house that will rent well but the yard is on an acre. Not sure if tenants typically enjoy the maintenance of a large yard or if that will intimidate most tenants. Also do I have to provide a lawn mower? Maybe I will list it for rent and for sale and see which offers are the most attractive

Thanks!!

Andy 

In general the tenants should provide their own lawn mower for a single family property.

Whether or not they take care of the lawn will be heavily determined by the asset class of the property. Lower the asset class less likely they are to take care of it. Also note that as a general rule any tenant no matter the asset class won't keep the yard up as well as a homeowner.