• Real Estate Agent
  • Bayonne, NJ
Votes |
Inherited Tenants Who Installed Washer / Dryer

Angelique Diaz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bayonne, NJ
Posted Jun 25 2018, 17:36
I have recently purchased a Multi-Family with tenants who rented under a lease while I was under contract. I reviewed the lease and agreed prior to purchase (lease signed by previous owner and tenants). When I viewed the apartment during final walk through, the tenants had installed a washer and dryer (installed by big box store). The first floor unit is vacant and we have now upgraded necessary areas and are ready to rent. A family member of the 2nd floor tenant is interested in the first floor unit (which relieves of other issues). With respect to new tenant (regardless of whether the family member is going to rent), how would you handle the washer / dryer situation? We currently do not have a washer/ dryer installed in the vacant unit. We are not opposed to it, but how would you handle the water bill? Currently, the 2nd floor lease does not state water is to be paid by the tenant (all other utilities are paid by the tenant). I obviously would like for the current tenants to remain, but also make the new tenants feel they are receiving equal treatment. Apartments are identical other than upgraded appliances, re-grouted bathrooms, and kitchen backsplash (along with much nicer paint colors).

Loading replies...