What do you like about being a landlord?

5 Replies

This discussion thread occurred to me this morning, as I'm curious to see what other people have to say.

For me, I realized today that one of the things I like about being a landlord is not having to put up with any BS any longer than I want to. Case in point: when I have difficult tenants, and their lease is up, I can send them packing. It's the landlord's equivalent of "You're fired". I enjoy the fact that I can fire difficult tenants and re-hire nicer tenants, all at my heart's choosing, and I can say "You know what? I'd rather let this place go vacant for a month than to put up with one more month of your crap". 

So, what do you like about being a landlord? 

@JD Martin I also like being in charge to do as I see fit as you mentioned. I really like the near passive cash flow and financial security they provide.

The ability to make a positive difference in my community by striving to provide clean, safe, affordable, comfortable and quiet housing for responsible renters.

There is a severe housing crisis in many parts of the country. We can be part of the solution!

I have a mix of things. I really enjoy repositioning a unit and being rewarded for it. 

But really I would say I love how it has filled me with such gratitude. I pinch myself on a regular basis :)

@JD Martin

The thought of passing my properties down to my kids so they have a steady stream of rental income as they’re getting started in their careers and family lives.  I have about 100 other reasons, but I always come back to that one.

By far the best part of being a landlord is collecting rent. Everything beyond that and providing clean safe housing is just making something philosophical that shouldn’t be.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here