New Tenant Turned into "Cat Lady" renting a Shared House- advice?

8 Replies

New Tenant signed the lease stating she has only 1 small dog, now she has brought home 5 cats to the Shared House she rents.  Other tenants are highly allergic, as am I.  She also forgot to pay rent, so I am thinking 3 Day Notice on Rent non-Payment is best?  It's complicated because she signed a lease for one property and then decided to move into another and when I was updating the lease I learned about the issues and now it seems like we should part ways. 

You might want to work on your screening of tenants between this and the dogs...

But why not send her notice about cats and then separate pay or quit.....

If she signed a lease on one property, why didn't you do another lease on the property she actually moved into? Leases are not "blanket" and don't transfer between properties. Technically, if she has no written lease for the property she is in, then she is on a month-to-month verbal agreement. The terms of your written lease don't apply.

I would get rid of her ASAP. Inconsiderate people don’t make good tenants. Give her whatever notice you have to for the month to month situation and part ways. Did you do any kind of lease addendum when she swapped apartments? I document every little thing with tenants. People will agree to darn near anything when they need to move in. After they are in, nobody ever seems to remember things the same way as I do. Getting specifics signed off on , and of course being in custody of their deposit + last months rent is the best way to get cooperation.

@Heather O. You handle this as 2 separate situations. One as a nonpayment of rent/eviction. And another notice for breach of lease.

So you're dealing with this *and* the pack of dogs situation? Heather, you must really get a better application process. This isn't meant to be harsh towards you, but you're going to have nothing but trouble and not make any money if these are the kinds of tenants you approve.

You also do not move a tenant into another unit before updating and signing the lease. Things are signed and put in writing *before* the actionable event happens.

I highly recommend you research here on BP's forums and podcasts about how to find quality tenants. And if you're not already very familiar with your local laws, you need to research those too or hire a professional.

Start screening better.  Between this and your pit bulls post, a lot of things are getting by you.  I would recommend you start doing in home visits with perspective tenants.  Then you’ll catch all these problems before they become your problem.

Originally posted by @Dick Stevens :

Start screening better.  Between this and your pit bulls post, a lot of things are getting by you.  I would recommend you start doing in home visits with perspective tenants.  Then you’ll catch all these problems before they become your problem.

Transient town and the tenants are coming from out of state.  We visit home visits when they are local.