Received Default Judgement in CA - How to get tenant to leave?

6 Replies

So we already Received Default Judgement in CA and judgement for posession.  The sherriffs office hasn't gotten back to us. 

What are your strategies for getting the tenant to leave peacefully and not destroy your property? I just told the tenant that we got a default judgement and he claims he now needs to 'talk to the court'.  But we already got the judgement for posession etc.

He's tryiing to milk it longer.  Should I threaten him that if he doesn't leave peacefully now without damaging the apartment then we'll threaten to record the judgement and record the eviction?  

The tenant is claiming he can't leave now because he has to '"hire his lawyer to "remove the eviction" from his record'''

I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for the sherriff I'd rather he just leave peacefully now so that we can get it ready for the next tenant and remodel it....Ideas or strategy?

@Susan O. Cash for keys, Offer him some money to leave before the sheriff force-ably removes him as long as he leaves the place empty and in good condition.

I'd also try and be the squeaky wheel with the sheriff dept to try and get them their ASAP.

I've treid the cash for keys and the sherrif is going to take 10-15 days. In mean time I have to pay my mortgage, my bills, utiliities (yes he's using free water and free gas while I'm paying the mortgage and not receivng rent!!!)

I'm frustrated.

He told me he needs $2k to move because he has to get a big storage unit for all his 'stuff'

@Susan O. This has been an expensive and frustrating process. He is not out yet, it may seem close but he is still there and if it were me I'd take him up on the 2k if you can swing it. I just spent 20k redoing the interior of a duplex that was trashed by a tenant. Maybe 2/3 at most could be called wear and tear and the rest will be insurance claim. If you can get your tenant out peacefully-go for it and screen the heck out of the next one! All the best.

Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad :

@Susan O. This has been an expensive and frustrating process. He is not out yet, it may seem close but he is still there and if it were me I'd take him up on the 2k if you can swing it. I just spent 20k redoing the interior of a duplex that was trashed by a tenant. Maybe 2/3 at most could be called wear and tear and the rest will be insurance claim. If you can get your tenant out peacefully-go for it and screen the heck out of the next one! All the best.

Isn't it extortion or just messed up that these tenants are forcing us to take money versus just leaving our property alone and moving???!

Be careful that you don't give him any money until he is out and has signed something stating he is out.  If  you pay him while he is still in the rental, he will find another reason to delay.