Votes
Joe P.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Water in basement, about to move in a tenant

Joe P.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Sep 29 2018, 08:36

Hi all, I posted in another forum about the actual water in basement problem (appears to be water seeping in due to heavy rains, may call a basement waterproofer) but I have another immediate issue I need to figure out.

My current tenant is moving out tomorrow (Sept 30) and I have a tenant lined up for October 1. I can have the house cleaned/prepped/ready for the new tenant, but this water issue is brand new.

I am supposed to speak to the new tenant today. They have not signed any agreements yet; I've only notified them that they were selected and I sent copies of our lease for their review.

I'm trying to work out how to proceed. I plan to be honest and let them know the recent rain has brought in a difficult water situation, which I am willing and working to fix ASAP. However, I wouldn't recommend they use the basement for storage, nor do I think it's feasible to use the washer/dryer in the basement (they have to dance around huge puddles of water slowly receding).

I was thinking of offering them the option to cancel, but I suspect that won't work well for them since they're expecting to move in. With part of the house technically unusable, I wanted to offer a rent discount so they have a place to live with the understanding that laundry/basement may be unusable or less than desirable until resolved, perhaps $100 off per month until resolved or something.

Any thoughts/advice?

Loading replies...