Most relevant place to advertise rentals

9 Replies

For those self managing landlords, what is the advertising portal that gets you the most leads? I know Zillow is commonly used but I was curious if social media has been effective for anyone? Specifically Facebook marketplace.

There are differences depending on the market and on the product you are renting.  We've used:

- local newspaper ads (no longer do these)

- signs in the front yard or on the building (we've had a lot of interest generated, but never rented to a sign respondent)

- Zillow / Trulia / Hotpads (our most effective in actually finding people we've rented to)

- Zumper / apartments.com (generate fewer leads but probably higher quality)

- Craigslist (used to get a lot of good response here, but the frequency and quality of applicants has declined in recent years)

- Facebook marketplace (variable)

- Our own website (mostly we drive traffic to it from the other ads, and have more detail and photos here)

Looking forward to other people's responses.

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

@Nat Chan I use them all. Facebook marketplace has surpassed them all.

Craigslist and Zillow used to be the best, but not anymore.

I would agree with you. However I do think it varies a lot by the market. San Francisco is likely to be one of the more tech savvy, social media using locations, while a town in Ohio probably still relies heavily on the old school outlets. That's just my guess.

I have to agree with you Nat! It really depends on your market. There is free landlord software out there that will perform market syndication for you and will post your property listing to dozens of different sites (Craigslist/Zillow for the old school outlets and Zumper, apartments.com, etc. for the younger crowd). If you need any suggestions on software, feel free to PM!

@Katie Stewart All of the above mentioned works, in my market, specifically Facebook Marketplace. To weed out the mayhem, put in the listing first, last and security deposit. ***$75.00 application fee for all persons over 18. Criminal, credit and rent reference, no exceptions*** No one who isn't serious, is going to even ask a question. Speeds the process up and you can always work with someone, that just needs a break. The ones that are looking to take advantage of you, don't usually bother.
Originally posted by @Brian D. Beatty :
@Katie Stewart

All of the above mentioned works, in my market, specifically Facebook Marketplace. To weed out the mayhem, put in the listing first, last and security deposit. ***$75.00 application fee for all persons over 18. Criminal, credit and rent reference, no exceptions*** No one who isn't serious, is going to even ask a question. Speeds the process up and you can always work with someone, that just needs a break. The ones that are looking to take advantage of you, don't usually bother.

yep, i learnt that even if you message them this, it doesn't sink in 

@Chris C. Not all, but it does cut down on the tire kickers and speeds the process up. If I run an add on Facebook Marketplace, I also put the very first part of post ***Message email for more pictures***. When I get a request for more pictures, without supplying me their email, I know they aren't reading the post. If you can't follow simple instructions, you probably not that interested. I'm pre-qualifing candidates, just with their response. If I have a ton of interest, on a particular property, the people who can't supply their email, don't even get a response. Again it's about time saving and weeding out the B.S. as quickly as possible. It's not guaranteed, it just helps get to the final result quicker.

Agree 100% with @Brian D. Beatty . I also like facebook as I can click on the profile of the perspective applicant and get a quick look at their history. Zillow will disseminate the ad to other sources which is also nice. Craigslist I have used as well. I think these 3 will cover 95% of all folks searching.