New... looking to rent out a room in my primary residence

1 Reply

Hi everyone I am new to this and learning as I go.  I have an extra room in my primary residence and I decided the best way to start and learn would be to rent that out.

I guess I am just looking for general advice as to what I should do in this situation and what I should be looking out for especially when it comes to screening.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @Aaron Gehrig there are a myriad of things you can think about with this, but don't overdo it. When looking for someone to rent a room you won't get the cream of the crop in most cases. Not saying you won't find good tenants, but you will likely have to sift through to find them. As with any tenant/roommate you'll want to do a background check. They aren't perfect, but can catch obvious issues. If you want to keep things clear you can get a lease drafted that is room rental specific. This usually keeps it to where your tenant is only technically renting their room and has common area access to the rest of the house. If you want convenience with the whole process you can use a site like Cozy.co. On there you can track everything, have pictures and even post ads that they will syndicate out to rental websites automatically. Plus if you do a background check you can just have prospective tenants fill it all out through the site and it will keep it simple and all in one place.