Votes
Jonathan Soto
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
  • Newark, NJ
Replied Oct 11 2018, 16:18

Will need more information. Is it a single or multi family. is it rented out, can you rehab it to add value to it. Rent it out to good tenants if its vacant and doesn't need work. Continue to saved for the next property. Best of Luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Oct 11 2018, 16:34

If you really need to ask that question, why did you buy the property?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jason D.
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Replied Oct 11 2018, 16:52
Sell!!

User Stats

Votes
Shannon M.
  • Property Manager
  • Twin Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Twin Falls, ID
Replied Oct 11 2018, 17:33

Congrats!!! It’s scary but exciting! If you’re comfortable managing yourself a book that I loved and found helpful was Brandon Turners The Book on Managing Rental Properties. Lots of information on how to build systems and forms. If not, don’t be afraid to hire a management company. 

User Stats

Votes
Gwen Pike
Votes |
Replied Oct 11 2018, 19:36
@Shannon McEwan Thanks for the advice! Since this is my first rodeo, I thought I would get more information on my tenants from the previous owner. All I received was a lease agreement and their phone numbers. But as they say, it’s not easy being green!

User Stats

Votes
Gwen Pike
Votes |
Replied Oct 11 2018, 19:41
@Jonathan Soto Hi Jonathan! It’s a duplex with inherited tenants. I don’t know if there’s a podcast on now you have the property, let’s learn how to manage. Shannon suggested I get Brandon book. Thanks for responding!

User Stats

Votes
Shannon M.
  • Property Manager
  • Twin Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Twin Falls, ID
Replied Oct 11 2018, 19:41

@Gwen Pike I completely understand! I’m right there with you! Hang in there. You have to start somewhere. I promise no one here got to where they are now without learning and starting where you are.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Virgil-Stone
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Oct 11 2018, 19:46

Read landlording on autopilot.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Rittenhouse
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Oct 12 2018, 07:40

@Gwen Pike - Read and study your state laws on landlording. You must know what your state allows and local tenant rights.

I've written a book The Essential Handbook for Landlords, (on Amazon) because I've had hundreds of rental properties and managed hundreds for others.

• Read the rental agreements you received to know what agreements your tenants have now that you must honor.
  • Write those tenants to let them know where and to whom they should now send monthly payments.
  • See when those current agreements expire. As soon as you can, create new leases for them with wording you want. 
  • Be sure you have a great real estate attorney who can help you with your contracts and is also a litigator to go to court with you if needed. All attorneys will create contracts for you but most are not litigators meaning they will not go to court. If I have someone create contracts for me, I want them to be willing and able to defend me if challenged!

And I have a blog, KarensPerspective, where I've written a lot on landlording. I was a coach for a long time and I found that it is not uncommon for people to buy rental properties and have no idea what to do next, like you, so I wrote my book where everything is in one place and I could stop repeating myself!

Congratulations and good luck to you.

User Stats

Votes
Aziz Raji
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 12 2018, 08:03

Congrats! Steps closer towards financial freedom.

User Stats

Votes
Megan Phillips
  • Vermont
Votes |
  • Vermont
Replied Oct 12 2018, 09:04

I second Brandon Turner's book.

Get familiar with state tenant laws. 

Read these forums.