how do you keep truck of things to do on multiple properties

16 Replies

Do you guys keep stocky notes? Or just write things in calendar?

For example: dont forget to call a handyman to service AC in property 1 or dont forget to make sure property management company gets a handyman to paint property 2. Just because you have a property manager, they still need to be managed...

How do you organize all these things?

Since I am the property manager, I keep a to-do notebook for each property with middle and low-priority items. I try to schedule in at least two low-priority items every service call and inspection in addition to the main reason I'm there.

I keep a list of maintenance items for each property, and give them a priority level of 1 through 5 (one is most urgent).  I also have a list of routine tasks to be done throughout the year (clean gutters, start basement heat, replace furnace filter, etc.).  I've also added tax bills and when they have to be paid (in case they don't get to me, which has happened in the past).

3 rebuild edging to stone garden / groundcover
3.5 asphalt patch walkway
1S-T caulk window flashing
2S-T replace window in rear BR

The last two items are maintenance tasks I will do on the next turnover (1S would be the unit, T denoting on turnover).

PROPERTY CALENDAR
check market rent on all units x February 15
property taxes due (1 of 2) x March 15
school taxes due (2 of 2) x March 15
water bill due (1st quarter) x March 15
replace smoke detector batteries x April 1
clean gutters x May 1
open basement windows, remove salt buckets x May 1
water bill due (2nd quarter) x June 30
city trash bill x June 30
school taxes due (1 of 2) x September 15
water bill due (3rd quarter) x September 15
property taxes due (2 of 2) x September 15
replace smoke detector batteries x October 1
close basement windows x October 1
clean gutters / rake lawn x November 1
salt buckets x November 15
begin heating basement December 1
add salt socks to gutters December 1
water bill due (4th quarter) December 15

The x is added when I've done the task.  At the end of the year, I erase the x's in that column and start again.

I use excel with a tab for each property.

Property management software may help. You can use a free calendar like Google Calendar and set recurring reminders. Create a spreadsheet with a list of tasks and review it once a month, once a week, or whatever is necessary.

@Mary Jay If that's all you're looking for, simply put reminders in your phone! You can make them recurring or not depending what the task is.

Before magic cell phones, I used the large desk calendar and put everything down there. Then checked the calendar daily. Now I do the same thing in my phone which is much easier and never goes away!

Good luck to you.

@Mary Jay I use a combination of things. I do use sticky notes in the software. But I also set recurring reminders to change out my ac filters, water filters etc. I set this and get auto reminders emailed or SMS to me. One other thing I use is Tasks. I will create a task where a sticky note doesn't suffice and for random things where a recurring reminder wouldn't work. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Originally posted by @Keith Weigand :

@Mary Jay I use a combination of things. I do use sticky notes in the software. But I also set recurring reminders to change out my ac filters, water filters etc. I set this and get auto reminders emailed or SMS to me. One other thing I use is Tasks. I will create a task where a sticky note doesn't suffice and for random things where a recurring reminder wouldn't work. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Thank you to all of you guys!

Keith, what app/software sends you emails with reminders?

@Mary Jay , Hi Mary J! Robert here. This is a great question! Sometimes keeping track of all of the small ticket (and big ticket) to-dos can be challenging, especially when you have multiple rental properties for which you need to keep this information organized.

While sticky notes and notebooks are definitely super helpful (that has been my process in terms of helping my family member out with some of these action items for their rental property, up until this past summer), it could be a good idea to check out a potential online rental management & success tool that allows you to manage maintenance requests specific to the unit (one that allows you to manage all maintenance requests from your tenants with comprehensive maintenance tracking capabilities, ie. can include photos, time-stamped/dates of requested repairs,  details of a required repair, will provide status updates on a maintenance ticket, and will cc a list of preferred contractors on all maintenance issues, all to make sure that those action items are taken care of for that specified unit).

Definitely, something we've thought more about in terms of what might make this process a whole lot easier. And this also includes emails which the system triggers with updates and reminders. If you have any questions, you can always reach out.

Originally posted by @Daniel Cullen :

There are a number of free online services which help you keep track of upcoming maintenance and repairs. Here's one:

www.homebuddy.house

Thank you! So its kind of like google calendar with reminders? How is it better?

Originally posted by @Daniel Cullen :

There are a number of free online services which help you keep track of upcoming maintenance and repairs. Here's one:

www.homebuddy.house

Thank you! So its kind of like google calendar with reminders? How is it better?

Originally posted by @Wesley W. :

I keep a list of maintenance items for each property, and give them a priority level of 1 through 5 (one is most urgent).  I also have a list of routine tasks to be done throughout the year (clean gutters, start basement heat, replace furnace filter, etc.).  I've also added tax bills and when they have to be paid (in case they don't get to me, which has happened in the past).

The last two items are maintenance tasks I will do on the next turnover (1S would be the unit, T denoting on turnover).

PROPERTY CALENDAR
clean gutters x May 1

The x is added when I've done the task.  At the end of the year, I erase the x's in that column and start again.

That is very impressive! I like it!.

Are these the only items on your lost? Or you have other things as well?

Originally posted by @Wesley W. :

PROPERTY CALENDAR
clean gutters x May 1

That is very impressive! I like it!.

Are these the only items on your lost? Or you have other things as well?