Veterans Housing Vouchers

4 Replies

Can anyone tell me how this program works?   Potential Renter called today asking if we would accept Veterans Housing Voucher while he is in school?   I'm guessing it is part of GI bill, but this is a first for me.  I didn't know they want to pay directly to the owner.

Do a search on Google. I did and found it is similar to section 8 and has a fair bit of negative feed back. Seems risky.

Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn :

Can anyone tell me how this program works?   Potential Renter called today asking if we would accept Veterans Housing Voucher while he is in school?   I'm guessing it is part of GI bill, but this is a first for me.  I didn't know they want to pay directly to the owner.

I'm a veteran. Used the GI Bill back in college, and it wasn't common in the student veterans club to refer to it as a "Veteran's Housing Voucher," usually we called it "BAH." I did a quick google search and found something, but not sure how him being a student is relevant to the program.

If you want to know how much his GI Bill "Basic Allowance for Housing" is, you can just google search "BAH rate for [insert zip code of his school here]" and find the line for E-5 with dependents. Bump it 25% or so to account for it being tax-free income.

If it's the "HUD-VASH" program that I'm finding on google, it looks like from your perspective this is pretty much identical to Section 8; in your shoes I'd follow whatever I'm currently already doing when it comes to Sec8. If you google "HUD-VASH your local city/county name," you will probably find the local housing authority that administers it (local to me it's the same people that do sec 8).

It's called VA HUD VASH. We take them. It flows through SEC 8 in our market. The voucher holder will have both a VASH case worker and a SEC 8 case worker.

In my area, the veterans housing vouchers have higher maximums than the standard Section 8 vouchers. My plan is to rent to as many Section 8 veterans as I can for my units new Exposition Park, which is a relatively low-income area, and then possibly sell the property at a premium.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here