What are your best strategies for reducing maintenance?

What are your best strategies for reducing maintenance?

Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes

I've heard a few tips about excluding certain appliances, putting language in the lease related to maintenance calls, or being really choosey about tenants in the first place. What strategies have you had the most success with?

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y

When I rehab an empty house I make it as bullet proof as possible. I replace thing with quality parts, fixtures etc. It doesn't have to be broke for me to replace it with something more durable.

I don't put in carpet. I use vinyl strip flooring that looks like hardwood floors. The stuff is very durable.

Then screen tenants and find good ones.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Hayfork, CA · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 212 votes
    7y

    Taking care of maintenance while it is small so it doesn't cost as much in time and money.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Quarterly inspections and preventative maintenance. Don't wait for a call if you are serious about reducing maintiance. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    When I rehab an empty house I make it as bullet proof as possible. I replace thing with quality parts, fixtures etc. It doesn't have to be broke for me to replace it with something more durable.

    I don't put in carpet. I use vinyl strip flooring that looks like hardwood floors. The stuff is very durable.

    Then screen tenants and find good ones.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    7y

    Being choosey is probably the best strategy

  • Lender · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 658 posts · 626 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    When I rehab an empty house I make it as bullet proof as possible. I replace thing with quality parts, fixtures etc. It doesn't have to be broke for me to replace it with something more durable.

    I don't put in carpet. I use vinyl strip flooring that looks like hardwood floors. The stuff is very durable.

    Then screen tenants and find good ones.

    How do landlords answer the exterior paint versus ceramic coating question? Is the higher upfront cost of ceramic coating worth its longevity and durability in return? I see these ads all the time and used to get junk mail about it when I was a homeowner. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    When I rehab an empty house I make it as bullet proof as possible. I replace thing with quality parts, fixtures etc. It doesn't have to be broke for me to replace it with something more durable.

    I don't put in carpet. I use vinyl strip flooring that looks like hardwood floors. The stuff is very durable.

    Then screen tenants and find good ones.

    How do landlords answer the exterior paint versus ceramic coating question? Is the higher upfront cost of ceramic coating worth its longevity and durability in return? I see these ads all the time and used to get junk mail about it when I was a homeowner. 

     Labor is expensive so I would put the money it costs to paint a house and use either vinyl siding (rental) or Hardiboard (flip).

  • Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    I know of a great tool you can use to coordinate those repairs and not spend all your time looking for and managing the maintenance. Let me know if you want a DM! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    7y

    @John Underwood I would suggest looking at LP Smartside vs. Hardiboard. Check out various reviews and comparisons on-line. Easy to install, as well. Just be sure to paint cut ends and follow guidelines for gaps. In addition, we always wire the bathroom light and fan together to make sure the fan is running when the shower is used. And put a pan under the dishwasher in case of leaks.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Do it right the first time.  That's the biggest thing.  

    The other thing as others have pointed out is make the house tenant proof.  I don't put in medicine cabinets, just mirrors.  I don't point in on the wall toilet paper holders.  They'll get broken.  I don't like carpet.  Etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed are on the money. 

    I would add that being "choosey" about tenants, or proper screening is the base of your entire business. It isn't something you do to reduce maintence calls.

    I am convinced that "the language in the lease which addresses maintenance calls" was developed by one of these "passive investors" who just expects to collect rent. If you care about your asset then you want to get a maintenance call- and by god, welcome the small ones! Tennis ball stuck in the gutter can lead to damage/leaks, dripping toilet or faucet can rack up a bill, crumbling concrete steps....

    Embrace being a landlord- it is a blast.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    Buy newer properties, less than 20 years old.  Use home warranty as first line of 'defense' against items that need to be repaired.

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    I agree with @Larry Turowski

    DIRTFT. OK, it does not make a good acronym. LOL.

    Do it right the first time.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 42 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    When I rehab an empty house I make it as bullet proof as possible. I replace thing with quality parts, fixtures etc. It doesn't have to be broke for me to replace it with something more durable.

    I don't put in carpet. I use vinyl strip flooring that looks like hardwood floors. The stuff is very durable.

    Then screen tenants and find good ones.

     That is a great strategy. Listen to this man.

    An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure

  • Rental Property Investor · south Alabama · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Toss a couple of these tablets in the ac drain pan in the spring...

    https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Air-Conditioner-Cleaner-Tablets/dp/B000KM3BUY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1549512222&sr=8-1&keywords=ac%2Btablets%2Bfor%2Bair%2Bconditioner&th=1

    It’ll sure save you the headache of a clogged drain line.

  • Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
    7y

    A few small things come to mind.

    No attached towel racks or toilet paper holders (drives me nuts)

    Provide the air filters, and then have your handyman change them out

    Annual inspections, then fix the problems you are responsible for

    Avoid fans or lights with pull chains in kids bedrooms/closets

    Waterproof flooring

    Make sure the number of tenants doesn't mysteriously grow

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 305 votes
    7y
    Rehab the property before placing first tenant(s). Move in/ move out inspections and bi-annual inspections noted in the lease agreement. Install 1/4-turn angle stop valves at all sinks and toilets. Install new faucets. Replace backyard decks with a patio slab and step at sliding door (if needed). Do not install screen doors. Do not furnish washer & dryer. Avoid carpet if possible, otherwise minimize carpet in bedrooms only. Install Kwikset Smart Key locks on all exterior doors for easy re-keying.
  • Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 655 posts · 293 votes
    7y

    Inspection intervals, handle issues immediately, have it written in the lease that any damage caused by the tenant will be repaired at their own cost, out of pocket - not taken from the deposit. 

    And with any and all maintenance and repairs, do it once, do it right. Don't skimp out or try to get it band aided cheaply. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Kathy Johnson interesting perspective. Usually I hear about people trying to minimize the amount of trips they have to make, but this makes sense to me

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. I like the idea of quarterly maintenance inspections, do your tenants always agree to that? If I were renting I don't think I'd like maintenance people coming in every few months, maybe I am wrong though

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @John Underwood I've heard a lot of good things about that style of flooring

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Jassem A. This is what I do now because my one rental is in a really hot market so it's easy. Good to know it works at scale too

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Larry T. Interesting point on the toilet paper holders. Never would have thought of that

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Alan Grobmeier not much of an option in Pittsburgh where I invest. A lot of our buildings are 100+ years old. Makes for some interesting electrical/plumbing situations sometimes

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @William W. I actually do this in the house where I live now, good info

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Regular furnace cleaning. Mid range appliances (too many controls on high end, low end don't last).  Have a manual includes owners manual for appliances or show them how things work on move in. (do you know how many people don't understand breakers).  Don't use refrigerators with water supplies or garbage disposals.  Make sure your move in gift includes a plunger.  Periodically ask tenants key questions, anything leaking, dripping faucets, heat ok? You will be amazed how many times a plumbing leak doesn't get reported until it does and then there is damage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.