Tenant has another eviction ongoing

11 Replies

Hi again,

I sent all my docs to lawyer office today to file eviction bad tenant.

Staff just called and told bad tenant has another eviction ongoing.

Anyone has this kind of experience?

Tenant has two eviction similar time?

I am very shock;  tenant signed the lease agreement while she was evicting other property.

Cannot believe it.

Please, share your eviction tenant experice.

Not sure on the time frame, but if someone is going through an eviction currently and its their first one, and you screen them, its not going to show up on your screening until the first eviction is finalized. An official eviction will take some time to show up on a search

BUT..... there were probably other red flags....AND its obvious you didn't call their previous landlord..... big and expensive mistake. ALWAYS call the previous landlord and even better to call the previous 2 as the current may sugar coat things to get rid of them and pass the buck...

One phone call to current landlord and you would have avoided this issue....

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

It is very common for tenants being evicted to move before the hearing, my guess is you did not bother to screen her. Steep and expensive learning curve.

I cannot believe it.

it is very expensive lesson to learn.

I was too lucky to have good tenant so far.

Hope this is over soon; very stressful everyday.

Originally posted by @Ned J. :

Not sure on the time frame, but if someone is going through an eviction currently and its their first one, and you screen them, its not going to show up on your screening until the first eviction is finalized. An official eviction will take some time to show up on a search

BUT..... there were probably other red flags....AND its obvious you didn't call their previous landlord..... big and expensive mistake. ALWAYS call the previous landlord and even better to call the previous 2 as the current may sugar coat things to get rid of them and pass the buck...

I learn expensive lesson this time.

When I screen tenant, she did not have history of eviction.

I think it is ongoing eviction process previous place too;not finalized it yet.

lawyer assistance found out and let me know today.

very shocking and hope tenant moves out soon.

Originally posted by @Ned J. :

Except when that landlord, like 90%+ of landlords, says: "Oh yea, Kelly, its a shame she's moving. Always pays like 5 days before rent is due and never had any complaints!" Why? Because they want to get rid of the nightmare and owe nothing to you. I only request current/previous landlord info from applicants to see if they are lying (like putting down a friend's phone number and/or name). Landlords who are pissed a good tenant is trying to move will bad mouth them to keep them there, and those who are trying to get a nonpaying tenant to move will say whatever just to get them out.

@Matthew Olszak ..... that's why you call the previous 2 landlords..... the previous one to the current has zero skin in the game.

And if the current one is in the middle of an eviction with that tenant, I doubt they are going to sugar coat it.

Not a perfect system to screen, and that's why you have multiple aspects to check when you screen....you don't rely on only 1 or 2 items

@Yuni Park , most municipalities have  civil court website where you can search for active and closed L/T cases.  Many screening services will only show a closed eviction, not an ongoing action.

Don't give up on rental property because of one bad tenant.  Learn your lesson and apply that knowledge on the next one.  

Put this behind you and keep moving forward.

@Matthew Olszak , very true about previous landlords.  We always check the county recorder for the deed/title of the property the tenant is leaving to cross check the owner against the name supplied by the prospective tenant.  That works against bad tenants like Kevlar against BB's.

@Marc Winter

Thank you for your advice. I will not give up just one bad tenant.

I filed eviction yesterday and process server will deliver to tenant.

It is very stressful and time consuming to all the eviction process.

Learned a lot by expensive way; should not trust all paper works by tenants provided.

I need to handle professional way and more tenant screening.

Hope this will be my first and last eviction to tenants in the future.

You should only trust paperwork the tenant provides if you can verify it.  If a tenant brings me their credit report and tells me that I don't need to run one since they have it, I tell them I have to get it run independently.  I can fake a credit report showing I have a perfect or horrible credit score.  It's easy.  

Also, make sure you are evicting the tenants and all other occupants (or whatever your local laws require) to get everyone out.  If you do things wrong with the eviction you could end up having to start all over from the beginning, which will cost you time and money.

Originally posted by @PJ M. :

You should only trust paperwork the tenant provides if you can verify it.  If a tenant brings me their credit report and tells me that I don't need to run one since they have it, I tell them I have to get it run independently.  I can fake a credit report showing I have a perfect or horrible credit score.  It's easy.  

Also, make sure you are evicting the tenants and all other occupants (or whatever your local laws require) to get everyone out.  If you do things wrong with the eviction you could end up having to start all over from the beginning, which will cost you time and money.

Thank you for your advice.

I hired eviction lawyer and filed already with all the occupants in leasing agreement.

Waiting for updated from lawyer office and moving forward in next step.

Eviction process is long and very stressful to me.

Hope she moves out soon.