Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
Hello BP,
I have been lurking on BP for months reading posts and listening to podcasts, Studying real estate reading books. I worked on my credit (743) and obtained a second job. I also obtained a partner from work that wants to go into real estate with me.
So this takes me to my point, now that I believe I have all my ducks in a row, I am getting cold feet. I don't know where to start looking, I don't know if I'll get a good deal. What if I jump to a bad deal and can't find good renters for the property I acquire, the market I live on is to Expensive, these are all the things running trough my head.
So I took the next step and called an Agent in the Utica NY area (3 hours North from the city) to start looking at Multi Family homes up there.
What are some good questions to ask an Agent to make sure you're working with the right one? On my visit what should I look for?
I know some about Due diligence (check for liens, taxes ect). Basically what advice can you seasoned investors give me before I take the leap.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y
Go to the BiggerPockets Bookstore and buy "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene. Or get it at Amazon. Or at least listen to Podcast 257
When you buy a multifamily or even an SFR with tenants in situ (tenants in place), it's important to get certificates/letters of estoppel from the tenants beforehand. That's a fancy French term for a very simple concept -- the landlord getting rid of the property can be expected to lie or misrepresent what the rents are, what security deposits s/he's holding, what the terms of each rental contract is, etc. You need to verify in writing both from the LL but also from the tenants what the tenants are paying monthly, when their lease runs out, what security deposit the LL is holding on them, before you close the deal. You do this by knocking on doors and meeting your new tenants, who will probably not be ecstatic to meet you, an unknown quantity. You have to distribute and get back a simple form letter from each of the tenants with a copy of their existing lease.
Now, the tenants can also be expected to lie and misrepresent. That's why you have to get it in writing AND you have to get a copy of their existing lease from them beforehand. Do not trust the LL to give you a thoroughly accurate copy of their lease. Tenants are not known for being champion record keepers, especially the ones who have been month-to-month for years. This gets weird occasionally. Stick it out and get it done before you sign on the dotted line, or you'll very likely get a nasty surprise after the fact.
The main reason why you're getting cold feet is probably you're not fully ready to jump in. Read more books on MFH investing. Start with the two of David Lindahl's books! Also, if neither you nor your partner have aggressive personality, perhaps it's a matter of finding another partner. A partnership should be well balanced (one person is pulling it back and reserved and the other one is aggressive and helps to push it forward).
Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Alina Trigub
Yes definitely there has to be a balance, i am the ambitious aggressive go getter type and he’s very passive. Im just not experienced at this yet. Thank you for your advice.
Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Caleb Heimsoth
I do agree I should take the leap and learn by doing. I just wanted some last minute advice from experienced investors before I took the trip out there. Thank you.
Real Estate Agent · Seattle · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
7y
I believe a good realtor will be your partner (at least that's how I try to approach it). Make sure you feel comfortable with them and trust them and they don't push you too much. My first deal was at foreclosure auction and it was terrifying. Everything went well though and now everything else seems approachable!
Just like swimming, the only way to get comfortable is to get your feet wet. Don't rush into anything but start meeting with agents and lenders to get used to the process. Then jump on that sweet deal when you find it.
@Jose Gonzalez to be completely honest, your first deal will probably scare the crap out of you.
No amount of preparation can prepare you for everything. After about 4 deals it’s been pretty straight forward for me
That’s exactly right . To be honest I still get scared some if I missed something like a foundation issue or bad water line but for the most part I will know right away and be confident in my choice now . My first deal I was scared $hitle$$ that I’m going to go bankrupt lol
Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 490 posts · 301 votes
7y
@Jose Gonzalez Definitely bring a contractor or home inspector with you to a property before you make an offer at least until you’ve developed the sort of eye for repairs and pitfalls that a seasoned investor has. If you can get a ballpark figure for repairs for a property before making a bid it makes making that bid a lot less scary.
Rental Property Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 8 votes
7y
@Dennis M.
Any suggestions when Agent’s rent comps does not match reality? Meaning sometimes the rent which Agent recommended is off my ~$100-150. Is this reasonable when cash flow is tight. Has anyone experienced this?
I've found working with an agent that is also an investor is very helpful. That is always my first question to any of them. Nice job finally getting started though! Better now than never!
Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Alexander Keyes A good agent is definitely a must, I got a great one for my primary home but now I ma venture up north and look for one I feel comfortable with.
Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Brent Crosby I agree, I've heard this over and over again. I have realized that a lot of Agents don't own real estate so I'll definitely find the right agent that gets it. Thanks.
Brewster, NY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Josh Rogers Thank you. Definitely better now than never, I discovered real estate investing not to long ago, looking forward to get my journey started.
Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes
7y
@Jose Gonzalez
Like others have mentioned, my best advice is to find a realtor who is also an investor in the area.
Had I not done this, I still dont think I'd have my first property under my belt. They'll ease your mind by sharing contacts, discussing scenarios, laws, tenant selection, rent rates etc. They can really help your deal become more "turn key" rather than you trying to hunt down all of this info for the first time. They might even help place your first tenant/contract for free like mine did (might add that in your contract with them).
I might also suggest a SFH to get started. I wanted to do multifamily as well on my first deal, but I've found a SFH was a good ice breaker. Just my thoughts, but if you're good with a multi then roll with it and make some $$!
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
If you want to go swimming, you're gonna have to get wet. Some answers only come with taking action. Being scared and sometimes failing at new stuff is natural...we all go through it. The good stuff is on the other side of your comfort zone.