What would you do?

21 Replies

Tenants are supposed to move out today. I did a showing for new prospects. There is still a ton of stuff. Some packed and a lot not. Nothing cleaned yet either. Contractors are scheduled for first thing tomorrow.

You've got no choice...you have to suffer through today and hope that the tenants rise to the occasion and get it done.  If you have a way to contact them, you could remind them that today is their final date to remove all possessions and vacate the property...that contractors will be arriving tomorrow...wish them well as they move forward - that kind of thing.  I've seen tenants arrive with an hour to spare and got it done.  Fingers crossed!

If I were you, I would call up the contractors and cancel, offer to pay them something for their wasted time on Sunday. In the future, you should not schedule contractors until you have confirmed moveout and cleanout. Some tenants rise to the challenge, as @Patricia Steiner has indicated. Most tenants in my experience do not, although I'm at the bottom of the SFR C/D class in most of my properties. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, but plan for the worst so all your surprises will be nice ones. Good luck to you on this one.

Yeah you should always confirm move out before scheduling rehab crews. In my experience, it really depends on the type of tenant you have! You should know from your experience renting to them if they do what they say they will do. If the tenant paid like close work every month on time and always performed, then it is likely that this will be no different. If the tenant always paid late and had excuses for everything, if they told you they would be bringing in rent by Friday and failed, then this will be no different!

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

If I were you, I would call up the contractors and cancel, offer to pay them something for their wasted time on Sunday. In the future, you should not schedule contractors until you have confirmed moveout and cleanout. Some tenants rise to the challenge, as @Patricia Steiner has indicated. Most tenants in my experience do not, although I'm at the bottom of the SFR C/D class in most of my properties. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, but plan for the worst so all your surprises will be nice ones. Good luck to you on this one.

Yes, the lesson here.  Slow down people slow down.   Stop trying to rush the process to save nickels and dimes and causing yourself the heartache. If you have to rush the process and try to squeeze every last dollar out of the deal to make money then you are not financially capable of investing.  

@Frank Wong @Jim K. And others above. Thank you for your replies. Move out was confirmed about a week ago. I contacted the tenants with a reminder after I left and received a response of “ok”. For now we are still on for tomorrow!

@Max T.

No, Max, that's not what we meant. When I said you need to "confirm a moveout," I meant going to your rental and verifying that the tenants have left the building and taken their crap with them. I don't mean sending the tenant a reminder and receiving from them a promise from the heart, a notarized affidavit of intent, a blood oath on their children's eyes that yes, they will be out on such-and-such a date and time. None of those things means diddly-squat from a tenant to most experienced landlords.

@Stephen Akindona thanks! These tenants have always followed through. They have been with me 5 years. Just cutting it close this time!

@Max T.

I am humming This Is The Moment as I write this. Sorry man, I know it's not funny to you, but you seem to have the faith of a priest in Christ about these people.

@Jim K. You seem to know them better than I do. Care to make a wager? I can update you tomorrow.

@Max T.

I only gamble when I can rig the game, Max. I didn't mean to offend. Please accept my apologies.

@Jim K. It’s all in good fun. I would have suggested a post like, mention, and a free night in your worst rental property If I ever come through Pittsburgh.

So they are out on time! But I did get an email late last night apologizing for leaving some things behind due to "not enough space in the new place and the dump limiting what they could bring." The same email acknowledges that the removal will be charged against their deposit.

@Max T.

You might want to try popping in 48 hours beforehand to put them on notice that ‘im showing this property in two days’. Just my two cents but I would never show a property until that unit is emptied out, fixed up, and thoroughly cleaned. You can still have a quick turnover just be organized and follow through with everything the day they move out.

I can’t remember who said it on these forums but I liked it a lot.

‘You wouldn’t buy a dirty would you?’

Originally posted by @Nick Ferrari :

@Max T.

You might want to try popping in 48 hours beforehand to put them on notice that ‘im showing this property in two days’. Just my two cents but I would never show a property until that unit is emptied out, fixed up, and thoroughly cleaned. You can still have a quick turnover just be organized and follow through with everything the day they move out.

I can’t remember who said it on these forums but I liked it a lot.

‘You wouldn’t buy a dirty would you?’

Thanks Nick but if I waited until the property was move in ready I would be showing it to people who are trying to move in < 1 week. Good tenants plan their move ahead. Bad tenants need to move asap. I make it clear to the prospects what work will be taking place. It has worked out pretty well, and the times it hasn't just turn into what you are suggesting. The downside being that I eat a 2-4 week vacancy. Thankfully those times have been few and far between.

@Max T.

I'm glad they're out, Max. It is always a pleasure to be proved wrong on my most cynical projections, because it provides evidence that the world as it is doesn't always have to conform to my worst suspicions, and my worst suspicions are pretty ugly. I suggest you get down there quickly and assess what you still need to get rid of.

@Max T.

You asked what I would do and I answered. If you don’t want advice then don’t ask for it.

@Jim K.

Oh baby they left a lot of stuff! Many bags of trash and several large furniture items. But my crew will be paid well for the dump runs, and other than the normal painting and cleaning there are only a few small repair items.

@Jim K.

Oh baby they left a lot of stuff! Many bags of trash and several large furniture items. But my crew will be paid well for the dump runs, and other than the normal painting and cleaning there are only a few small repair items.

Originally posted by @Nick Ferrari :

@Max T.

You asked what I would do and I answered. If you don’t want advice then don’t ask for it.

Nick I appreciate your advice but that doesn’t mean I have to take it, especially when I like my plan better. It’s not personal. Thanks again!

@Max T.

That's great, Max. What I've found on the quick exits, when people who promise a last-minute exit do come through, is that occasionally in their haste to get out, being tired and undermanned moving their stuff out, you end up with heavy wall damage in stairwells, busted windows from the inside, floor stains and scrapes. Glad that didn't happen. I'm sure you've seen it before, too, but I thought this would be a wise place to mention it for people with less experience.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

@Max T.

That's great, Max. What I've found on the quick exits, when people who promise a last-minute exit do come through, is that occasionally in their haste to get out, being tired and undermanned moving their stuff out, you end up with heavy wall damage in stairwells, busted windows from the inside, floor stains and scrapes. Glad that didn't happen. I'm sure you've seen it before, too, but I thought this would be a wise place to mention it for people with less experience.

Now that you mention it - I did discover a cracked pvc drain under the kitchen sink. My guess is it got banged too hard in their haste. That section will have to be cut out and replaced. All good though!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here