Apartment damaged by tenants- will insurance pay?

5 Replies

Deadbeat tenants left an apartment with several thousand dollars in damage and stole some items. Gouged, badly worn hardwood floors, missing and damaged window treatments, window screens, light fixtures, holes in walls, screen door, pet odor, waste etc. An attorney advised there is little chance of recouping damages from them. Is an insurance claim likely to yield any funding for repairs and replacement?

So how much is your deductible, how much would it cost a handyman to come in and fix the damage?

How often are you doing inspections?

I don't like making claims for small stuff because I want to keep my insurance premiums across multiple properties low and just use this for a catastrophic event.

If it were me I would use any of their deposit and pay the difference out of pocket and write this off to the cost of doing business.

Originally posted by @Jan Gudell :

Deadbeat tenants left an apartment with several thousand dollars in damage and stole some items. Gouged, badly worn hardwood floors, missing and damaged window treatments, window screens, light fixtures, holes in walls, screen door, pet odor, waste etc. An attorney advised there is little chance of recouping damages from them. Is an insurance claim likely to yield any funding for repairs and replacement?

Jan, sorry to hear of all of the damage.

There needs to be an "Occurrence" to trigger insurance coverage.  An Occurrence would be Fire, Wind, Falling Object, etc.  Wear and Tear is not a covered peril under 99% of insurance policies, but Theft can be.  

From your summary above, I would say you would estimate the majority of the damage would be classified as wear and tear.

Only way to find out for sure is to file a claim.

I just went through the same thing.

Insurance won't pay.

1. Take photos and videos of the damage.

2. Make the repairs. 

3. Keep all the bills. 

4. Sue the former tenant

My attorney called me today. She was successful negotiating a sizeable settlement with the deadbeat tenant.

Going forward, I will insist that all my residential tenants have insurance, with Landlord listed as additional insured on the policy.