Gave tenant a late rent notice and he gave me an epoc rant, help

5 Replies

I recently rented out some rooms in my house. There has been one tenant that has been giving me problems. His been late on his rent multiple times, clogged the toilet, and spilled motor oil in my driveway.

He was just late again, and this time I gave him a late rent notice. He just sent me an epic rant. This is how I would like to respond, and I would like some help in figuring this out.

I see this is how you feel. I feel like we have 2 options.

1. Like you said, we coexist, and I will not bother though as long as the rent is paid on time till the the end of the lease.

2. We work out an agreement where we end the lease early at the end of August. During this this, I will be showing your room to perspective tenants, so please keep the room clean as you have been doing.

Here are the links to a summary of what has happened and screenshot of the rant.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hPq46GOgmBv16UbG2UKAxAHKMKMR04wXh-mF3Gx0r6U/edit?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1MKpUGiNdCqAYmKuQG-sMsnObEJqm4cHG

What does your lease say about late rent and maintenance issues that are the tenant's fault? The lease is ultimately the letter of the law in how late rent should be handled by you and the tenant. 

None of his incoherent rambling needs a response. he isn't even threatening to leave. It sounds like he is using emotions to try to manipulate you so you don't charge late fees.

If I were you, just make sure your late fees are billed in accordance with local law. Make sure they are properly outlined in the lease. Then, when he complains (like he has) just say, "I'm sorry, but its business"

If he continues to rant hit him with the "happy clause," (You seem to be unhappy here. If thats true, I would be opn to discussing a move out plan.)

@Alex Smith late rent is 5 percent after 3 days and 10% after 10. The lease states he would cover all 3 of the things I listed. I am not sure how to proceed at this point though. I do need the money, but he has caused me so much headaches. I don't think it's worth the trouble anymore. I am thinking of ask ing if he is happy here, if not, then if we could mutually part way next month. This what I could get another tenant lined up and he could find a place to live that is not here.

@Andrew B. hmm, I am really liking this happy clause idea. I am definitely tired of dealing with him. Have you ever tried to do something like negotiating a move out date 2 months ahead of time. Is that too much time? I am hopping to show the room to others, so I can have a tenant lined up right away. Hopefully it would be enough time for him to find a new place to live as well. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by @James Smith :

@Andrew Boettcher hmm, I am really liking this happy clause idea. I am definitely tired of dealing with him. Have you ever tried to do something like negotiating a move out date 2 months ahead of time. Is that too much time? I am hopping to show the room to others, so I can have a tenant lined up right away. Hopefully it would be enough time for him to find a new place to live as well. Thanks for the help.

How much time you give him is between you and him. I would want/expect one full month notice, so if you have the conversation now, I would discuss ending the lease on Aug 31. if he is truly making you miserable, you can push for earlier. Of course, if he has a valid lease, you must honor it unless you both come to mutual agreement.